To skim or not to skim?

aiber

I am setting up a sump/fuge. 48 x 12 x 13. Going to be like "melevs".
Would I still need a skimmer? My LFS guy informed me that he hasn't run a skimmer for three years and doing great. He just told me to have a 4 in. sand bed, live rock and macro algae in the fuge an the skimmer is not needed.
Comments wanted...
Thanks

nm reef

I know what type set up you are considering...melev has a great system. But...personally I'd still consider a skimmer....I run a 55 gal refugium with a DSB...50-60 lbs of LR (plus 120 or so in the display)...with a 30 gal sump. My EuroReef skimmer still pulls a lot of gunk out and needs to be emptied weekly.Skimmerless can work....but I prefer the additional filtration a quality skimmer provides and honestly I can't see any reason not to skim as long as it is removing the gunk it does.:thinking:

aiber

One reason I am considering not purchasing a skimmer is because it is so bulky. I want the water to enter into a small area full of live rock. With the skimmer that area would have to be at least 14" by 12"...I am looking at the ASM rated for 250 gallons...
Also, the skimmer is another expense.
Money is not the main issue here but why waste it if its not necessary.
I want to do it right though....If most people skim, then I will too.
Albert

nm reef

A skimmer can be a quality addition to the filtration package....I run a 30 gal sump.....water enters over 20 lbs or so of LR (basically to break up bubbles from the three lines feeding maybe 2000 - 2200 GPH)...the second chamber is where my skimmer sits and the return section has a pair of MagDrives to return to the display and to feed the refugium(which gravity returns to the sump).I seriously believe a quality skimmer can suppliment and basically improve the filtration package. :thinking:

traib

If you sufficient filter feeders a skimmer is not necessary. See Steve Tyree's Environmentsl Gradient (sponge and tunicate filter feeders, setup and design.)