to skim or not to skim?

clownfish

Do I need a skimmer for a 55 gallon tank that will have an Emperor 400 filter and some corals and fish? If I really need one, would a Visi-Jet from Aquarium Systems work well enough? It only costs 35 bucks but has a water pump. I don't have lots of money, but enough to afford a visi-jet or similarly priced model. Would I need it right away or when I get some corals in there?

mr . salty

I would get one. As a matter of fact,I'm just starting a new tank and plan on getting a skimmer this weekend. STEVE

t_larz

I don't know from experience but I have read and it sorta makes sense that since a skimmer takes out all the fish crap and waste that you won't really need one until you have some to clean up. so in my opinion, ya don't have to get it right away but you will need it. they are expensive too!

reptilicus

Hi,
to answer your question, it is a good idea to get a skimmer. However, if you are going try and keep corals, do away with the power filter, they do nothing for the tank except build up nitrates detrimental to coral growth which will reduce the life of your corals. Get a sand bed with a little bit of live sand, and use that, your live rock, and your skimmer as a filter. There was a post on this a little while back you may want to read.
Regards,
Tom

mr . salty

I don't claim to be a biolagist, Hell I cant hardly spell it. Just relaying what I've heard,and possibly helping out along the way.......STEVE
[This message has been edited by MR . SALTY (edited 07-11-2000).]

kmr

Hope this helps some? If you rely strictly on a power filter alone there is a chance of having higher nitrates than a tank running only a skimmer. If you change the filter media often enough there shouldn't be much waste going through the nitrification process. You then lose much of the biological action in that filter too of course. A skimmer will eject the waste into a cup so it doesn't have a chance to go through the nitrification process. A great clean up crew will lessen the need for mechanical filtering.

clownfish

I talked to a LFS store owner who has been keeping fish for 18 years. He said that the best way to do it is to get a good skimmer and lots of live rock with live sand. This is called the Berlin method because it began in Germany. The Germans know more about aquariums than anyone else in the world. Eheim canister filters, Hamilton MH systems, and so on are made in Germany. This LFS, by the way, has healthier corals and more attractive tanks than any other LFS in my area. This is because they use skimmers and no other LFS in the area does. Skimmers can pull out lots of ugly brown goo in a short time. I want to get a Bak Pak II and forget the Emperor 400. I will use the money saved to buy more live rocks. The Bak Pak also provides some bio filtration so my fish will be safe before I get all the live rock in. The live rocks and live sand are nitrate removers. This won't be a reef for the first few months.

kmr

Clownfish,
Thats all I do. I use a Knop skimmer and about 100lbs of LR, and 40 lbs live sand in a 55g Tank. I do have a whisper to use carbon once a month for three days a shot. The Berlin system works great. Go for it.

clayton

A skimmer is virtualy essential for a healthy reef tank.
If you have not already, I think it would be advisable for some to read up on the nitrogen cycle as it is the basis of ALL aquariums whether they use live rock/sand or not.

kmr

I totally agree with sundogs last post. I do think you need a way to run carbon though (once a month). Carbon is very important if a coral slimes or there is chemical warefare going on. The debate about higher nitates using a power filter is a good one. Some people even say that a wet/dry is asking for higher nitates. I guess it all comes down to personal preferences and having a good maintanance progam.