To Sump or not to Sump

rapt0r32

Ok I been digging around on Sumps and have asked a few questions but I am still alittle wishey washey on the whole thing. It is getting crunch time because I am sick of looking at an empty ( and dry ) 125 tank. I have plans for LS LR and Fish and some inverts. Not really going to go reef and or any corals. Now would I need a sump for this or could I actually go a canister filter but remove the media for some flow. Or do I need to proceed with a sump... All thoughts would be appreciated.... :D

reeferx

You could always buy a wet/dry for that size tank. You don't need a fancy one, just one that is big enough to put a nice skimmer in it too. Then later if you get a lot of nice rock, you could just pull the balls out.
Wet/drys already have sumps!
If you are a DIY guy, another option would be to stick a cheapo tank like a 20 long in there for a sump and buy a pre-filter,pumps and skimmer.
I don't think an empty canister will provide adequate filtration.
Other options include hang on the back wet/dry and skimmer filters. Or if you are a canister guy, I think Eheim makes a wet/dry canister if you have the scratch. But I would still recommend a good skimmer.
So, going by your plans, I would go with a wet/dry.
125's are sweet!!!
Matt

rapt0r32

Thanks guys... On a previous post I asked about a wet dry and Broomer said it looked good but wondered about the skimmer. I also wondered about it after he said something. Wondered how good of a job it would really do. As for the canister I was thinking for water flow not really filtration. Now I know that is alot of money for a power head per say but I dont want a tank full of power heads.. Thanks for the info.