To Tang or Not To TANG?

fishwanabe

hello, I have a 55g with about 50lbs. of LS and 75lbs. of LR a hand full of red and blue legged hermits, a green emerald crab, brittle star, one sand siffing star, one horseshoe crab, 2 clowns, one diamondback gobie, fire gobie and a cleaner wrasse. I would like to get a small tang to clean up some of my problemed green hair algea. I know that a tangs will eat it that a tang is not good for such a small tank. However, if I plan to up grade to a larger tank, maybe it would be ok for awhile...any thoughts of how long I could get away with it or is there a different fish that will eat the algea and be better for my situation? Thanks

spiderwoman

I would say no tang. You can get the correct kind of a CUC that will take care of the algae issue. Everybody always says they are going to upgrade when there is talk about tangs in small tanks and not everybody goes through with the plan. Why not get fish that are suitable for the tank and can spend the rest of their life there. Get the tang when you do have the larger tank. Correct CUC will get rid of your problem. Also you need to evaluate what could be causing the algae problem and correct that.
Just my $0.02 worth.

fishwanabe

ok now i get it, clean up crew, but wht shold I get, is there a fish that I could get? Ive got 40.00 burnin a hole in my pocket and the lfs is open, I need to go now please help. Ive wanted a new fish for awhile now.... bumpppppp

pumper

Alge problem aye? Get a lawnmower blenny. He will decimate the alge population in no time and he will be your most prized and loved fish. My lawnmower knows who I am, greets me and sometimes does a little dance in the front of the tank for me. My blenny was about 1.2'' when purchased and possibly emaciated but hes over 3.2'' now and fat and happy as can be.

pumper

But we all know you need to find the source of the alge. The blenny will only aid in removing the alge. Their is other things to consider. phosphates, silicates, over feeding, and of course nitrates. Using untreated tap water usually introduces phosphates and silicates. I use tap water myself and have no problems, I just treat my tap water with stress coat. I had a hair alge problem. My source was over feeding. Also there is something called an "alge cycle" in new tanks. You should look it up.