To Upgrade or not to Upgrade.......

moy

Hello eveyone!
I currently have a 46 gallon Bowfront tank. What do you guys think, should i upgrade to a 72 gallon Bowfront or not??
Will i run into problems (is it worth the hassel) upgrading; for example the 26 new gallons of water that i need to add, would all of this new water stress the fish out, how much would it affect my fish, cleaner shrimp, feature dusters, rock anenomeas, etc..??

guppie

I think the first question to ask yourself is why do I want to upgrade? When you get that answer you will know if it will be all worth the hassels you talked about. I know from when I upgraded it was worth it. I think your new tank will still go through a cycle, someone correct me if I am wrong, and yes your tank creatures will be stressed, but you can make it easyer on them by just thinking out your steps first. Good Luck

moy

Thanks for the repply guppie! Does anyone have anymore insight on this upgrade? :rolleyes:

S

stormbind

I think that if you have the $ you should diffinitally go for it. You will be happy with your larger tank and so will your fish. Just don't rush into it. Think everything out. Do a search on the board about upgrading and you will find some methods on how to do switch that may be helpful. Good luck man. :cool:

justchillin

well with that much new water volume you will definatly get a cycle. however if you set up the new 72 and add a little of the LR and LS (if you have it) along with a little tank water from the established tank you can speed up the process a great deal.
Add the extra LR (cured) and sand you will need for the larger tank fill it up and add in some of the LR/LS/water form the 46 (as long as everything is healthy in the 46).
Then once your tank has finished cycling you can transfer the rest over.
HTH,
mike.

justchillin

oh...and as for your original question.
I'm always in favor of upgrading to a larger tank (especially since I upgraded and saw what a diference it made)...
HTH,
mike.

seadaddy

Bigger is better. I went from a 75 gallon to a 180 gallon. Now I am eyeing a 300 gallon. I just have to figure out how to get it in the door without my wife seeing me. If you are going to go bigger, go as big as you can. If not you will just want to expand again later.

I agree with Seadaddy, think about the size tank you want to be in carefully. You may just want to bit the bullet and go with a 75, 100, 180, etc. 46-72 isn't that much of an upgrade for the buck you'll spend. You might as well go big.
Just my $.02

gymieg

I would skip the 72 and go larger. Bigger is better! Size the tank by the size available in the room and if necessary get a bigger room. :p

marine qa

I would look larger than a 75. I have a 46 now and have no immediate plans to upgrade, but if I did I would go much larger.
If you have space constraints a 92g corner tank wouldn't take up much wall space.
Whatever you get, get built in overflows and a sump. You may regret it otherwise.