Toadstool dying?

sign guy

is this thing dying the poylps are comming out but over the past three days it has been slumped over. after a few hours of light it will perk up. But is this a sign that it needs att.
traits trites amm 0-5 ppm ph 8.2 temp 78 cal 380 lights 65pc tank 46 bow
it has been doing well for 3 weeks now just wondering if this is a phase

sign guy

the sand is 13 inches down from were it sits and I am afraid it may not have enough light on the sb

lamaface

um... i had the same prop with one of my softies a while back... The shedding is fine but i rate you need more light. And hows the current in your tank?

O

oreo12

I don't think toadstools need as much ligh as other corals. I had one that allways looked bad but was still living sold it and the guy that has it say it still dose the same in his tank I bought a 1" dia frag and it is now about 6" and allways looks great so it may be something with the one you gotten.

scsinet

This doesn't look bad.
Leathers HAVE to be attached to something to do well. If he's securely attached to your rock, then I'd leave him. If he starts bleaching, crumbling or eroding, that's the time for concern. At this point, he's just acting normal.

lamaface

Ye i must agree with scsi, leathers are temperamental if i can put it that way... lol, thats why i dont keep softies atleast with my acros/clams i know if they are doing well or not.

lamaface

Dont think it really matters that much. Softies dont have a calcium based skeleton so theoretically calcium wouldn't effect them.

L

lagger

Leathers need FLOW. Work on getting it some. Also, ammonia should be zero.

J

jupoc911

when was your last water change? I am particualry interested in your iodine levels. What other softies do you have in your tank around or near that leather. Do you have any mushrooms near by?

sign guy

Originally Posted by SCSInet
Hey one thing I just now noticed... I don't see a lot of coralline growth. How's your calcium?
Yesterday my cal was at 380 and is riseing. I use seachem cal + mag.
You cant see much coraline cuz that is a side shot of my tank and a rock that has only been in the tank for a month or so.

sign guy

Originally Posted by Lagger
Leathers need FLOW. Work on getting it some. Also, ammonia should be zero.
amm. is at zero today and I have good flow for the tank
2 returns
a 650 maxijet
and I kept my emp on as well

sign guy

Originally Posted by Jupoc911
when was your last water change? I am particualry interested in your iodine levels. What other softies do you have in your tank around or near that leather. Do you have any mushrooms near by?
I do 10% water changes aq week I dont dose for id but once a month, 2 drops in the sump
other coral
devals hand
tree sponge
zoas
frog spawn
colt
and some shrooms on the other end of the tank

sign guy

Thanks everyone for the help I guess everything is fine but feel free to post if you think of anything

L

lagger

Originally Posted by sign guy
amm. is at zero today and I have good flow for the tank
2 returns
a 650 maxijet
and I kept my emp on as well
Sure seems like enough flow overall, however, toadstools typically like direct
flow. I'd try moving the MJ 650 to the front of the tank and point it at the leather for a day or 2 to see if it improves. Sure, it won't look good, but it just might do the trick. If not, I'd check the lighting next.......GL