toadstool help

debbie

I got a toadstool frag 3 days ago. I am having problems finding the best place for this leather. I would like for it to attach to a rock for just it only. I have never used any glue for my mushrooms as they attached quite nicely by themselves in a week where I wanted them.
What I did was move this toadstool to a rock by itself and carefully pushed the stalk down into a hole of the rock just so it holds in there. I am concerned about the color of the toadstool as it is going a whiteish color which I know is probably normal. The stalk seems a bit wrinkled, is this normal?
I don't want to loose this toadstool so any help would be greatly appreciated. I am going to take a picture of it right now and post it so someone can tell me if it looks okay at this point.
:thinking:

debbie

Okay here are two pics. I appologize for the crappy pictures, love this camera for outside pics put tank picutres are just horrible.
The first pic is of the toadstool. There is some white on the edge of it but it is mainly brown in color. The pic of the mushrooms and rocks is where I first had it. I had it tucked in the hole between the mushroom with blue on the left and the striped mushroom on the right. I thought that if the toadstool took hold that it would possibley kill those mushrooms as they would be quite close and touch each other. Please tell me if I should have left it there or start it on its own rock that I have in on in the first pic.
The Anthelia in the picture is no longer there and has been moved.

dirty-d

those 2 together are fine and they will not harm eachother........and the whitish around the toadstool is it shedding or what not.....molting...etc. my frags do it all the time and the polyps come back out like nothing happened

debbie

Okay so would you leave the toadstool on the rock I currently have it tucked into or move it back to the other area with all the other mushrooms?

engineer

Toadstool looks fine. I have a post on here about the issues with mine,they are wierd but resiliant. As far as the toadstool attaching, they attach pretty fast. You can use a rubberband also, to hold it to the rock. After they molt/shed, or what ever you want to call it, they will look brand new, just like a snake when it sheds.

sign guy

my lfs told me to pull the toadstool and the lr out of the tank and use liquid super glue. then wait 1 to 2 min before putting it bake in the tank. I have never tried it though. Can anyone tell me how often a toadstool should shed.

engineer

I have read alot about the superglue trick, and know a few people that do it, but I just dont trust it enough to do it.
The shedding depends(from my expeiences) on how fast they grow. Also just as a snake the faster it grows the more often it sheds. Like I said as soon as it sheds it will look brand new!

debbie

Well that sounds great, I am just worried that with it shrinking a bit that I might loose it. The color looks great and I have it pushed into a hole in that rock. I did move this piece of rock to the front of the tank so hopefully nothing dislodges it until it takes hold. The water flow there is pretty good but not really hard. This morning it was still there and there is just a bit of white still but other than that I will just keep my fingers crossed.
I to have never used glue and don't want to take the chance, nor use a rubber band. I think it will do fine there.
Engineer, can you post a picture of yours? Do you find they grow fast?
Thanks everyone for the reply, now I can rest easy and just wait.....

engineer

Probably so they dont touch. According to my reading toadstools are very mildly aggressive, 3 on 1-10 scale. Frogspawn is a lil more aggressive at a 6, and your brown polyps are very mildly aggressive also.
Here is pics of mine!!!!!

engineer

I have three, when I got them they were all on one rock, the smallest one glued him/herself to the rock that it was leaning on and then the rock that was holding the other two busted in three pieces and the other 2 became seperated and the third piece of rock had a very small piece of the stalk on it and within 2-3 days you dould see the polyps coming out on it. It is soo small I couldnt get a pic of that one, it is like the size of a pencil eraser.

debbie

Thanks for remembering me....

Well, I think if I move it anymore it will die for sure. Was having troubles with my maroon clown not wanting it where I did. So what I did was moved it to the front of the tank in a corner to see if I can get it to attach to some rock. So far no luck, I think I will have to try the elastic band thing again. But today it looks shrunk and skinny again. So something has to be done. It was looking great the otherday, the polyps were coming out etc. But now not so good. The clown is throwing sand around and it seems to be in the line of fire. So I will be doing something real fast with it.
But I did buy another leather yesterday, the LFS said it was a toadstool but I really don't think that it is as the shape is so different and it has polyps all around it. It does not have a stalk and top like the toadstool I have. I was keeping my fingers crossed that it might be a finger leather or devils hand?? I will post you a pic of it that I took yesterday and see what you think.
I will keep you updated on the toadstool though. Thanks again....

engineer

Is this pic of new leather, if it is it deffinitly lookd like a toadstool frag? I have moved mine all over my tank also, I now have mine up on top, and I have the powerheads(with rotating heads) hitting them.

grumpygils

Originally Posted by engineer
Is this pic of new leather, if it is it deffinitly lookd like a toadstool frag? I have moved mine all over my tank also, I now have mine up on top, and I have the powerheads(with rotating heads) hitting them.
Mine does best with moderate to strong flow, especially when shedding.

debbie

Hey, nice that you remembered me....

Well, it is doing very well. After playing with it, I finally elastic banded it to a rock. I think I can remove it now as I know it is finally attached. I will post a picture of what it looks like with the band still on it.
As for the other leather, I really don't think that it is a toadstool. It does not reseble one at all. I will post it too. So they are both doing well thanks.