Toadstool Info?

foundanemo

I am getting my first toadstool from a friend, and I wanted to know if there is any advice for keeping them. The only corals I have experience with are plate and ricordea. Any knowledge is appreciated.

sully

Her is some very good information from reefkprZ in another post.
they fight for territory via chemicle warfare, any sensitive corals put to close directly down stream can suffer or die. if you have a lot of toadstools running carbon to remove these is a good Idea. cyutting them in tank can cause an excess release of these and cause problems. its not a huge worry (having them in the tank) just be cautious in your place ment of other corals in relation. definatly do not put a different type of toadstool thats smaller down stream from it. the toxins hitting the littler one will damage it and cause it to release more toxins in retaliation. over all people seldom see direct results of the chemicle warfare, usually one ends up growing way slower than the other.....

sign guy

Originally Posted by Bang Guy
Good waterflow, good light, maintain Calcium & Alkalinity.
pluss carbon is a must with all leathers. they shed on a regular basis and the sheded skin can become toxic if not removed by carbon

bang guy

I don't believe any softie requires Iodine but I don't see any harm in dosing it as long as you test it with a Salifert test kit and never overdose. Never dose just after a water change no matter what your test kit says.

From everthing I've read through the years is macroalgae needs Iodine.No, not all test that have been done shows conclusively that softies need it, only that it shows up in their tissue.I don't think its wrong to keep Iodine levels to near ocean levels.

bang guy

I don't think it's wrong to maintain NSW levels either. I just don't see any purpose in it and the danger of an overdose is very real.
Don't confuse an organism sequestering Iodine with an organism requiring Iodine. Algae will sequester Iodine rapidly but it has no biologic use for it other than protection from grazing. Basically the more Iodine it sequesters the less likely it is that grazing animals will eat it. It probably makes it taste bad.
I'm quite convinced that Caulerpa racemosa does not require Iodine. I say this because I have never dosed Iodine and I used to pull 5 gallons of Caulerpa out of my system each week. Growth was definately never stunted by the lack of Iodine.
The same is probably true for softies. My guess is that they sequester it for chemical protection, not for any growth reasons.