Todastool question

beckzilla

As you can see in the pics that my Toadstool Leather has outgrown its perch on my rock and "has fallen and cant get up". The right one is permantently attached to the rock which is good but the left one never attached and has fallen. My question is can i cut the small area that has the 2 attached so i can relocate the poor guy. If I can what is the proper procedure and where should i separate it at.:notsure:

saltcreep

You can slice and dice these any way you need to. They are real hardy. You really want to do this out side the tank though if possible to keep it from polutting the water durring surgery. I usually cut the top off and slice it like a pizza. Glue the frags on to little rocks and then put a mesh net on it with rubber bands to hold it to the rock.

jimbonic

do you have some sort of blue backround that u put on your tank? I like the look your tank gives off... really blue, lol

Unless you want to frag the coral into pieces, I would cut about halfway down the stalk (outisde the tank as previously mentioned) and relocoate. Affix to the new position with a toothpick, or sew it to the rock with fishing line. It will reattach itslef and hopefully the old stalk will regrow a new crown.
If you want a bunch of frags, search for a thread "Fragging a yellow leather" by SiF. Different species, but same exact procedure.

clarkiiboi

Before you cut the actual toadstool, is the base of each still attached to the rock you bought them on? If so, IMO try to break the rock first (if possible)--leaving the "stable" one in it's place and freeing the other for a new location. I see the two are connected at the base, but just divide them, if possible. I just say this cause I had a "top heavy" toadstool and tried to frag (at the stalk), used the toothpick method (it seems the fishing line would be about the same)--- and my frag pulled off of it.

bigdjp

Just my opinion but with what looks like such a small piece connecting the 2 I would just snip it off right there in the tank and then move the one that is not attached. To me it looks like the piece connecting them is about the size if not smaller than a pencil.

beckzilla

You are right, the piece was small that connected them and it was no problem to cut it. Now that i have it split, would it be better to keep them close together or can i separate them further apart. It is amazing how fast this guy has grown since i got him.