Tomini Tang w/Blotches

old_salt

Have a Tomini Tang that has large blotches on both its sides. This fish came from a LFS that uses copper to kill parisites. Could copper have caused this or might this be something else? Any suggestions for treatment? Thanks for looking and any help provided!

renogaw

that fish looks like it's had a rough life so far.
it looks like the beginning stages of hlle, but copper on tangs is never a good thing. not to mention that copper has a specific dosing timeline that unless followed is useless. so it may be stress, it may be copper issues, but it looks more like the beginning of hlle.

old_salt

Yeah, I agree regarding the rough life so far. I was afraid it might be some sort of bacterial infection with no known cure. I have a bad habit of feeling sorry for these fish and trying to rescue them before they expire at the store. Not sure if this one is going to make it or not but he is eating good and not showing any other signs of being sick (at least none that I can see). Another LFS gave me a large (about 7 inches) blue tang that had HLLE pretty bad. It may never completely heal but it is eating just about everthing I put in the tank and he seems to be quite happy in its new home. Thanks for your help!

renogaw

i purchased a pretty beat up and hlle scarred kole and it has made a full recovery. its good that you help them, but it would be better if the lfe's lost some money once in a while due to them treating fish so poorly.
i am not sure on the bacterial or possibly fungus infection, but hopefully beth or sep will check in on this one.

sepulatian

Tangs often get white, faded, spots from stress. Feed him high quality foods dosed with vitamines. He should be fine. Give him time. I do hope that you quarantined this fish. What are you feeding him now?

sepulatian

Originally Posted by renogaw
i purchased a pretty beat up and hlle scarred kole and it has made a full recovery. its good that you help them, but it would be better if the lfe's lost some money once in a while due to them treating fish so poorly.
i am not sure on the bacterial or possibly fungus infection, but hopefully beth or sep will check in on this one.
Old Salt, if you could see the before and after pics of this Kole, you would not believe that it is the same fish. This Kole looks 400% better and is living a very happy life. He was one of the lucky ones to get an owner who cared........a WHOLE lot!!!