Tons of questions..

fishymama

Okay, so the tank has been going for close to 5 wks now. Here is a full tank view.

And I have a couple questions.
1. Just last night (litterally seemed to happened during the day yesterday) we notices "brown" stuff all over the white sand. It is almost like the snails and hermit crabs and shrimp aren't cleaning the sand good at all. Is there something we can add to help feed on this or remove this brown.

2. Also last night we notice that ther are bubbles come up from the sand. Anyone know why? Is this normal and okay to happen?
3. We are wanting to move the LR around. Is it okay to do this now with having 2. F.P. Clowns?
4. We also want to add more LR. This will cause a cycle correct? Will if effect the 2 fish we have?
5. How important is it to have the back of the tank covered for light to stay within the tank?
Thanks
Cassie

earlybird

Originally Posted by FishyMama
Okay, so the tank has been going for close to 5 wks now. Here is a full tank view.

And I have a couple questions.
1. Just last night (litterally seemed to happened during the day yesterday) we notices "brown" stuff all over the white sand. It is almost like the snails and hermit crabs and shrimp aren't cleaning the sand good at all. Is there something we can add to help feed on this or remove this brown.

2. Also last night we notice that ther are bubbles come up from the sand. Anyone know why? Is this normal and okay to happen?
3. We are wanting to move the LR around. Is it okay to do this now with having 2. F.P. Clowns?
4. We also want to add more LR. This will cause a cycle correct? Will if effect the 2 fish we have?
5. How important is it to have the back of the tank covered for light to stay within the tank?
Thanks
Cassie
1. Diatom algae is common in new tanks. I got mine during the cycle but might come back. They went away in 4 days for me and will go away in your tank as well. It's normal and healthy. Your cleaners may or may not eat it.
2. Nitrate converting to nitrogen gas. Normal and will go away.
3. Sure you can move the live rock but try to be careful not to disturb the sand to much.
4. If you add "cured" live rock you shouldn't have a cycle. Uncured live rock will cause a spike and can harm your fish.
5. I painted the back of my glass but you can get a background or use auto tint. I like it b/c it hides some of your equipment or at least lets it blend in and looks cool.
Hope this helps.

tperk9784

They are perfectly normal for a tank about this age.
Not sure why bubbles would be coming up unless it's from air that was trapped in the sand when you put it in the tank. Was it dry sand?
Yes IMO it's fine to move the rock with fish in the tank. I don't know the circumstances of your tank but I feel 5 weeks is a bit early to have those fish in there to begin with. Your 1st question usually happens towards the end of the cycle from my experience.
If you are getting cured rock locally from an LFS or another person the effect of a cycle should be minimal. If it's being shipped to you cured or not, you should cure the rock in a rubbermaid tub.
IMO it's not. eventually the back glass will get covered with coraline and no light will pass anyway.

azaintcold

Another observation is that it looks like you could you an extra powerhead or two for extra flow in the tank. this would your diatoms as well.

fishymama

Originally Posted by tperk9784
Not sure why bubbles would be coming up unless it's from air that was trapped in the sand when you put it in the tank. Was it dry sand?
Yes IMO it's fine to move the rock with fish in the tank. I don't know the circumstances of your tank but I feel 5 weeks is a bit early to have those fish in there to begin with. Your 1st question usually happens towards the end of the cycle from my experience.
It was dry sand. Does that matter?
And the tank might be older than that. It was an established tank, but moved to our house. The rock was in the tank before coming to us for about 2 yrs. It was in buckets with air pumps for about a month. I do know I have already cycled because of charting the trates, trites, and amonia. I also would also go to the LFS to have them double check the testing.
We have ordered new piping for the water flow. And I am going this afternoon to get a underwater powerhead.
Cassie

fishymama

Originally Posted by azaintcold
Another observation is that it looks like you could you an extra powerhead or two for extra flow in the tank. this would your diatoms as well.

We are going tonight to get these. We had to order some possible piping and heads. I knew after looking at some of the pictures on here I would need more. Do you have any suggestions on where to place them?
Cassie

azaintcold

Anywhere for mixed flow, just try to avoid dead spots. I would order them online honestly. a great product is the hydor koralia powerhead. I have them and love them! Others will tell you the same.

tperk9784

Originally Posted by FishyMama
It was dry sand. Does that matter?
And the tank might be older than that. It was an established tank, but moved to our house. The rock was in the tank before coming to us for about 2 yrs. It was in buckets with air pumps for about a month. I do know I have already cycled because of charting the trates, trites, and amonia. I also would also go to the LFS to have them double check the testing.
We have ordered new piping for the water flow. And I am going this afternoon to get a underwater powerhead.
Cassie
I was thinking dry sand might have had some trapped air bubbles that are slowly working themselves out. I don't think they are nitrogen bubbles.
If a tank was broken down and dry then restarted a month later IMO it's not an old tank anymore. Most of your aerobic bacteria are on the sides of your tank and the sand and in your sump and various other surfaces of the tank. the rock is only a portion of your total biological filter.
I only mentioned the age of the tank because I usually associate this type of diatom bloom with a freshly cycled tank.
If you charted your cycle and are sure it is done thats good. I am just a very patient reefer, an oddity in this hobby.
Your tank is looking good. Keep it up!

dapak83

my tank is about 2 yr old and i still got diatoms!.....i was told it was mainly because i didnt have enough flow inside the tank... i only had 10x.. i oredered more phs with a wavemaker so that should resolve the problem!