Too Hot

laddy

Turn your lights off, or cut down on the length, or as I started doing, reset the photo period to coincide with cooler temps outside (right now my lights are on for 6 hours on my 10g reef, from midnight to 6am). It's true nobody wants to look at a dark tank filled with rocks, it's almost an eye sore, but at least I'll be able to see them come the new year
. THE BEST investment I've made was a $15 digital thermometer which has the ability to give me the highs/lows since the last time I cleared the memory. I reset it every morning, taking note of the highs and lows over the past 24hr period, plus I note the highs and lows of the outside temp. If you know a heat wave is coming, don't be afraid to cut the lights totally--your corals are not going to die if they miss a day or two of "sun light".

partsman

hnkthetank,
i understand completly about the heat problem - i have a jbj 12 gallon nano with a heating problem - well not as bad now anyway..............
i took two (2) vegi clips and clipped them to the upper rim - suction cups facing outwards .... and rested the hood on top . leaves an opening for more heat to escape and not so much light to blind a person also. works pretty good anyway and i was able to drop my water temp down 3-4 degrees. changing your light's on time as Laddy said is also a big factor also.
my tank is really comming along now and i wish i could get my camera program working again to post a few new pic's,,,,,,,,,,darn adware got me ....arghhhhhhh.
take care
M..........

tankfinder

What ive been doing with my 24 nano is when lights are on leaving the front flap open. It helps a little but not enough. I was suggested to also 3-4 times a day freeze a water bottle and throw in the back filter. It has done wonders and I am keeping my water temp between 78-80.( just dont forget to add them)

jacksdad

My 24 never got below 82 with an ambiant of 76. I wired the fans together on their own power supply and now temp is 78.5 to 79.5. That's with the fans off for the last 45 minutes of the light cycle.
Bob

partsman

Bob,
could you give me an idea how you rewired your fan motors ? i've been seriously considering replacing them with a higher speed fan - if i can find the correct one !.
possibly rewiring them as you did will also solve my heating problem in my 12 gallon jbj deluxe.
i'm just not sure how to go about it .
did you use a seperate on/off switch or directly to a timmer via their own direct wiring ?
any info would help as i'm tired of fooling with this problem .
other than the pump gph upgrade the jbj has been almost trouble free .
michael :help:

partsman

what about upgrading the stock fans ?
jbj tells me ( today ) that the spec's on the stock fans are 60 mm - 4500 rpm with an air flow of 8.9 c.f.m - noise level is 25.9 dba ............
what about upgrading the fans to ones that had 16.1 c.f.m. air flow ...with only an increase of noise level of 27 dba
maybe even a temp sensor also ?
hhmmmmmmmmmmm ?
nanocustomcubes ?
what do ya think ?