too hot

donkeykong

have 20gl fish-only tank. I live in california in the valley and during the day it can get hot. I leave fans on in the room with the tank, but the temp still swings altttle more than I would like . Any suggestions?

carrie1429

If you have the money you could buy a chiller, that will keep your tank cool. But they are kinda pricey though.

mr . salty

How hot are we talking??? Atank can get hotter than you think without causing any real problems.My tank gets over 85 almost dayly,and I have never lost a fish due to this temp.The main thing to remember is that as water temp increases,it's ability to absorb oxcegen decreases.So airation is really the key here...

jacksonpt

Yea, my tank breaks 84 daily during the summer. The algae seems like it grows faster when the tank is warm, but that's about the only effect the heat seems to have on my tank... none of my fish/inverts seem to care.

my tank gets over 84 everyday but i do not seem to have a problem. but i do turn off my lights. so the lights are not warming up the water more.
Sarah

jacksonpt

Originally posted by clownfish1452:
<strong>my tank gets over 84 everyday but i do not seem to have a problem. but i do turn off my lights. so the lights are not warming up the water more.
Sarah</strong><hr></blockquote>
Do you run the lights at all? I've had to change my times so my lights run at night. They kick on about 9pm so I can enjoy my tank before I go to bed, and shut off around 3am.
Windsor huh?... I'm down in Vestal. Nice to know there's another sw tanker in the area. Where do you get your stuff?

donkeykong

wow, My tank swings from 75 to 80. It is very resuring to know it can get up to 85 degrees without any serous damage. Thanks for the help

cwfish

Instead of thinking of the highest temperature possible, try to keep your variation of temperature to a minimum. I would shoot for 2 degrees or less maximum swing in daily temp. My tank swings from 80.5 - 81.5 daily. I have an alarm that sounds if it hits 80 or 82, so I know early if there might be a problem. Good luck to you!

carrie1429

While my tank gets 84 most times there are sometimes when it gets 98 degrees, thats when I start worrying. I try to keep it as cool as possible but it still goes too high.

mr . salty

Originally posted by CWFish:
<strong>I would shoot for 2 degrees or less maximum swing in daily temp.</strong><hr></blockquote>Although this would be great,,,Most of us live in the real world.Asking for two degrees would be impossible to most...Even with a 500 dollar chiller,I would bet my tank would gain more than that in a day.Although you do raise a good point.It IS the ammount of the temp swing that really matters,but more importantly it's how quickly this temp swing occures...A 5deg tempswing could cause problems(stress)if it was to happen immediatly...But over the corse of a day(8hours)it is not a problem at all...

frankl15207

Iceprobe - works great on my 10 with the proportional temperature controller. Should work well on the 20 too.
<a href="http://www.coolworksinc.com/" target="_blank">http://www.coolworksinc.com/</a>

mr . salty

Those dorm room refrigerators do not work as a make shift chiller..There have been MANY discusions here about them,Do a search...They are just not powerfull enough to do the job...To make this idea work you would need a full size chest freezer too start.By the time you were done playing with it,you would have as much money invested to buy a good chiller...