Too late for RO/DI?

powen

I have a 120 gallon tank that has been in operation now and has cycled over 2 months ago. I used my well water to create the salt water and fill the tank. I am not sure of the condition of the water. I am noticing some cyano starting. The fish seem happy.
Is it too late to start using RO/DI? If I were to start using RO/DI would it make sense to do 25% water changes/week or the like?
Recomendations anyone?
TIA!
-Phil

birdy

It is never too late to use RO/DI! there are a lot of people who switch after years of using tap or well water. There isn't even a need to do massive water changes. Just do weekly 10% water changes, and top off with RO/DI water, eventually the water will all be RO/DI. Now I will say that just because you are using RO/DI it doesn't mean you will automatically not have any nuisance algaes or cyano. I am fighting a spot of cyano right now myself, increasing circulation helps a lot.
Have you tested your well water to see what is in it?

powen

Thanks for the reply Birdy!
I had the water tested and it has a high PPM. I knock that down a bit with a whole house filter.
I read some nitrates (~10ppm) in the water using my saltwater test kit. I am not sure how accurate that is though.
I have a ro/di that I am bidding on now. I hope to have it hooked up in the home within a week or so.

lovethesea

we did the same thing when we started (didn't know any different). We were using tap water. When we realized that it wasn't working out and the reason (Beth told me :) ) we changed. Within about a month we noticed a drastic change for the better.

dragracer

I am guilty of well water also. It was a budget thing. RO/DI units are expensive....but due to a certain webiste that sell new things cheap world wide(site starts with an E and has the word Bay in it) my new RODI unit should be here thursday. I got it for 110 bucks and it is good for 110 gallons a day with the 4 gallon pressure tank, amazing deal! Well worth it too.

donmgicwon

Originally posted by dragracer
my new RODI unit should be here thursday.
Is that from the place in Canada?
I ordered one from them like a week and a half ago, it shipped but I still don't have it. According to UPS Track its in Redmond WA. I'm thinking its caught up in customs or something. I'm still trying to decide where to put it though. Maybe I'll take someone (can't remember who) from heres advice and put it in my laundry room. I need to get a new trash can though cause the one I use to cure LR in has a drain and I'm not trusting that in my laundry room. I might put it in my basement though.

powen

dragracer, I ordered mine from "there" yesterday. should be here in a week or so. i paid $130 ($25 shipping).
donmgicwon, if its the same one I ordered its coming from santa ana, CA.

donmgicwon

I paid about the same price, it finally made it to Illinois so I should have it soon. I also ordered the TDS meter and 2 boxes of filters for no extra shipping charge.
I think I looked at the company your talking about first but I went with the Canadian one cuz they had 100% + feedback.
I'm pretty sure they're both just fine though. Good luck.