too many bubles from powerheads...?

whiner2

just a quick question on powerheads here. i have 2 aquaclear 301 powerheads and they seem to be putting out a lot of bubbles when they are on. is this normal? i have seen other pics of powereheads and have had no bubbles comming out of their spouts. i have tried tweaking the tube, but it seems when i do it stops the water from comming out? any clues on what to do? thanks...
oh and on a completely unrealted q. my tank has been cycling for 2 weeks now and is starting to smell. no algae on tank and just cleaned out skimmer cup. any thoughts?

birdy

Sounds like you have the venturi attached, the tube that attaches to the powerhead should come completely off, you don't want it sucking in air at all. It should just be pushing water around.

whiner2

yes, that is exactly is what it is but i wasnt sure what it did. should i leave it attached or take it off completely? (still cycling). also, any ideas about the smell?

frozenice

You must make sure the powerhead is completely submerged. i also have an aquaclear. i personally like the bubbles. there is a small opening over the spout of the powerhead. if that is out of water it will produce air bubbles when it is on. if you want the bubbles place air tubing in the opening and make sure the powerhead is completely submerged.

whiner2

thanks for the info. it is completely submerged but the tubing is attached...........
good to go now!