Too many conflicting opinions on Equip board.. I trust this one. PC life question!

hairtrigger

How long to 55 Watt PC bulbs last for? The general consensus is about a year. Yes, No? maybe so?
SOMEONE TELL ME ARRRRRRRRRRGGGGGGGGGHHHHH:D :D

fishermania

I have found that mine usually last 11 months. If I let it go longer than I start to excess nuisance algae growth.

frankl15207

Rule of thumb that I use that is in direct relation to both of the above replies:
Manuafacturer's maximum recommended life (as listed by Javatech) divided by 2 = Bigmac's 9 months.

nm reef

I currently run 4x65 10k CSL PC's on my reef(combined with 2x110 URI super actinics)...the PC's are reported to last from 12-15 months but around the 9 month mark I change mine out. My feeling is that I want to maintain maximum intensity...I change 2x65 watt bulbs at 9 months...2 more a few months later...then the 2 VHO's get changed a few months after that. Helps to replace lamps a few at a time vs purchasing all 6 at once...plus it helps to avoid sudden lighting change problems.

richard rendos

you don't just change them when they burn out?
That's what customers always asked us at the shop. I think between 9-12 months is about right. I always judge swapping bulbs out on the corals. They tend to let you know when new bulbs are needed. i.e. they don't open as much as usual/their colors aren't as bright/they aren't showing the growth the normally do. (could also be due to water quality too)