Too many tangs?

i like fish

I love tangs. Right now I have a 125 gallon with 2 clowns (percs), a flame angel and a yellow tang. Would a regal, powder blue, and naso get along? And, would they have enough room? I have 200 pounds of LR in there.

Scratch off the regal, very difficult and chances of keeping these alive are very slim. Heres a pic which I'am sure will make you very happy and will answer your questions, its a 125 gallon tank:

newfishliny

Originally posted by EelfreakRobi
Scratch off the regal, very difficult and chances of keeping these alive are very slim. Heres a pic which I'am sure will make you very happy and will answer your questions, its a 125 gallon tank:

your tank looks like a picture from a book , real nice.
what type of equipment do you use, I have a 90 glass so far 3 small yellow tangs and 3 black dot damzels, a mushroom , sally , snails , hermits 65 rock 100 l/s wet dry / 110 pc, mag9.5 , 20gal sump. 1" bulkheads , 1/2 returns, skimmer on the way
any tips for a clean tank like yours
thanks
Don

its not mine, I wish it was. its from a client in the lfs, and the people who have this tank have all the high-tech equipment, they have the ro unit, wet/dry, uv.,chiller.

Originally posted by Richard Rendos
WHy scratch off the Regal? I think the Powder Blue is the hardest to care for. Regal's are pretty hardy.

my bad, I got confused, I was thinking of the regal angelfish.
also rich, nice tank.

rich1515

Thanks Eel~ I am now planning to do a 75-100 fish only for my bedroom. The search for the tank begins tomorrow...

jja

I heard that the powder blue was hard to care for but I had one in a 55 gal. that did great. The only reason I got rid of him was because I also have a sailfin tang and they both got too big and there was no where near enough room for both of them.

ophiura

NICE TANK!
I would be a much happier fish in that one, then in the first 125 picture posted. Lots of room to move, no crowding. Looks like a very nice home with room to grow, which I am sure it has!
Better to have lots of corals, then lots of fish. The fish in that first 125 will not stay like that forever, they are no where near full grown...and, if it is like other 'client' tanks, there are fish that are replaced quite often. That is often part of the contract.
I agree with skipping the powder blue and naso. Especially the Naso. I have seen Naso in much larger tanks that look terribly cramped. They just pace back and forth. Terrible to watch.

sgt__york

nothing wrong with a fish only (mostly) tank. I agree that is really cramping that many tangs - would be nice to reduce it by 1 or 2 - and find another fish of same color.
However, credit where credit is due - that is a GORGEOUS tank. I'm sure they run a wet/dry - because that simply is NOT enough LR to sustain a good bio filter. I see it's viewable from all sides - so nothing leans against the glass - and the glass is spotlessly clean - really brings out the vibrant color of the fish.
I'm curious as to the lighting system they use tho - and what kind of system they use to handle normal algae growth. My first thought, was w/o corals - no need for expensive lightins - which would likely also DETER algae growth. HOWEVER, i do see a few corals growing in there.
I wonder if they maintain and clean it themselves - or if they have someone do it. Really is spotless - the glass, substrate and rock itself. Very impressive. I guess the other side's pooh actually does smell better :) LOL (j/k)

yammer

The number of tangs you can have also depends a lot on the individual's personalities. I have a 100gal with a regal and yellow tang. They currently getting along, but the yellow is fairly terriorial and will go after the regal if it goes where the yellow doesn't want it. The tank is fortunately large enough that this has become an infrequent occurrence (first two weeks they were at it it so bad I was getting ready to return one of them). At this point I wouldn't consider adding another. The tank is mostly for the corals anyway so I'm happy with the tangs and few other fishes that I have.
Certainly not all individual fishes are this way - you'll just have to rely on "luck of the draw"

I really dont know much about the equipment the client has but I know that the guys from the lfs come buy every two weeks to clean it, the ones who live there have had good success with those fish and they do have a wet/dry as well as uv. sterilizer chiller and other equipment that keeps it very nice. Even though it looks cramped the fish are kept very healthy and alive which matters the most.

ophiura

I can be healthy and alive in a coat closet with another person, a very clean coat closet, but I still wouldn't be happy, and I might very well start elbowing the other person out of the way so that I can have a little more space. Now if I had a razor sharp scalpel on my elbow, and was generally not too friendly to similar humans, it could get rather ugly over time. If I was in the coat closet with a dog, it might not be as bad, as quickly. In short, I think some of the tangs in that tank should go.
The fact is those fish will not all last in that tank, I think we can agree on that. I think we should strive to keep the number of fish in a tank that will fit there as adults. Not trade them out or replace them like commodities. I have no problems with fish only tanks at all, but just because it is fish only, doesn't mean you can cram it full of fish, even if you have the filter to handle the waste and someone to clean the algae. From the picture, there are very few places to hide, and this I do have a problem with, fish only or not.
That is a tank designed to make people ohhh and ahhhh, as are the tanks at lovely places like the Rainforest Cafe. It is clearly well taken care of, but the fish are still there for human interest and not so much concern is given to the actual fish. We should strive to do both, to some extent, and I think many people would agree with that.
There wouldn't be harm in taking a few of the tangs out, and adding a bit more decor for hiding. How old is that tank, BTW?
Anyway, that is my philosophy. However, I am well aware that it is not widely accepted.
You can't go wrong with a foxface, IMO. Great tough fish. Just remember that the dorsal spines are venemous, like a lionfish. You must know where that fish is at all times, and do not startle it. Sometimes they can get a bit skitish.

sgt__york

Originally posted by ophiura
I think we should strive to keep the number of fish in a tank that will fit there as adults. Not trade them out or replace them like commodities.
It is clearly well taken care of, but the fish are still there for human interest and not so much concern is given to the actual fish. We should strive to do both, to some extent, and I think many people would agree with that.

Well, i generally try to post for questions, to help others, and sometimes just to make someone smile or laugh. I'm going off course here and going to editorialize on this one.
In "MY" opinion, I will agree that overcrowding is not a good thing. But I do NOT think you have to make them fit as ADULTS. Fish are NOT human - and yet - even HUMANS do not live where they can necessarily all survive as "adults." They sell their homes and move. They buy houses with "more room" - additional bathrooms, more living space, extra bedrooms.
Are you saying a couple just married - should buy a 4 bedroom 2.5 bath HOUSE - because they will eventually have 3 kids who will all need their own spacd in 15 years???
There is nthing wrong with trading houses (tanks) - and people that get rid of an inhabitant because it gets too large for their tank. In fact, I would argue that it's the kind and "responsible" thing to do. I would caution your mentality in being so quick to think someone NOT caring for fish because they might not plan and act the same way you might.
And regarding - the PURPOSE of aquariums - YES, they ARE for human interests. That does not dismiss a responsibility for caring for them - but the entire REASON to have a fish, a dog, a bird or any other living thing - is for the interaction. There is tremendous research and learing that takes place. There is even medical research that shows ppl with pets (and fish have been specifically included) live longer lives - because they are soothing - and have a stress releaving affect on people as well.
Fish are not human slaves - and should not be seen as such. There is nothing wrong with trading them in - exchanging them with others who would care for them also. Getting out of the hobby is not akin to giving your kids up to an orphanage or adoption clinic.
I've got NO problem going out to the ocean - and shore fishing - catching a croaker or flounder - and making a great tasting dinner out of them. And i don't adore my fish at home any less for em. maybe you don't mean it as emotionally deploring as it sounded - and if so, i apologize if i came on too strong as well - it was not intended.
But there is an order to things - and we are not equal with fish. But we do have a responsibility for their care. Some people care more than others. I'm NOT saying they should be abused, tortured, or the such. And if ppl have money to pay someone else to care for their fish - more power to em. They have more resources than others.
The tank above is gorgeous. I'm glad it's taken care of. So the fish cannot "hide" - they don't haev anything to HIDE FROM (notice no predators???). I agree it's a bit croweded - and losing the Naso (or trading it in for a much smaller one) would more preferable for the sake of the fish's need to constantly swim. But that's the only judgment I can make against that gorgeous tank.

very well said york, but i just wanted to add a little. it dosen't mater if the fish is in a 5,000 gallon tank. it's still not the ocean, you know. i say, if it is healthy and doing well, more power to ya. i just don't like to see people who abuse animals wether they be dogs cats birds and even fish. i figure, we're all in this hobby to have a piece of the ocean. lets not get all over people because of what they have. let's just be happy they take such good care of their pets.