Too Many Urchins!

jemshores

Good morning all! On my LR months ago i spotted a pea size urchin-great. Now 6 months later i am over-run w/them. They range in size from golfball to quarter size w/ a few purplish. My LFS's do not want them but my beach is a mile away!
So, would anyone like some? Unfortunately a trip to my house will be the only way-suffered a work injury and am one handed at the present. Please post or pm me if interested. And my apologies if this post is out of line.

kspops

Where on the nature coast are you? I am just over the Pinelas /Pasco border. I just started my 135 about 4 mounths ago and have just added my 4th fish. The CUC is doing great, but I would like to add some more interesting critters. Thanks.

jemshores

Hi! Thanks for the reply.. You will need to capture them, i won't be much help :( There are at least 6, maybe more, and if they don't have any more urchin "relations" I would like just 1! Gimme me a call...Marcy

flower

Too much information..anyone can read this...not just the people you want. You need to edit your address out as well as your phone number

jemshores

Originally Posted by jemshores
http:///forum/post/3102116
Hi! Thanks for the reply I am here at home all day . You will need to capture them, i won't be much help :( There are at least 6, maybe more, and if they don't have any more urchin "relations" I would like just 1! Gimme me a call...Marcy
PM me if interested...

jemshores

Just an update; one of our fellow SWF reefers came and picked up my urchin colony
. Extremely nice fella, loves these boards too, and talked about fish stuff, what else, and the knowledge gained and shared here!! And we both agree CFR rules!!!

ophiura

Please do not release these into the ocean. I will beg on that one :)
Possibly, if your tank was 100% caught from where you are and there was absolutely, positively, no chance that it came in contact with anything Pacific....maybe. But if there is even a slight chance, I would not do it.
where is your rock from?

jackri

I agree.. nothing captive should be released back into the wild, especially if it's not naturally occuring there.
It becomes an invasive species and can wreck havoc on local creatures.

jemshores

Originally Posted by ophiura
http:///forum/post/3107467
Please do not release these into the ocean. I will beg on that one :)
Possibly, if your tank was 100% caught from where you are and there was absolutely, positively, no chance that it came in contact with anything Pacific....maybe. But if there is even a slight chance, I would not do it.
where is your rock from?
My rock was harvested from the Gulf,,,and yes, they have a new home!

ophiura

Just saying, it is very easy to introduce even something tiny. If the tank is not 100% entirely from Florida, it is not something to introduce, even if the specific SPECIES of urchin is. Just a bit of a possibility to consider, and something I always clarify in case someone else is reading and thinks it is ok to do. If any coral, frags, sand, fish, etc are not from Florida, it is a risk to ever reintroduce.