Too many water changes?

migston

Ok I've been bad and somewhat neglected my tank for a little bit. As a result I had a severe outbreak of bubble algae and hair algae. I initially did a pretty big water change of around 10 gallons on my roughly 65 gallon system two weeks ago. Since then I've been doing 5 gallon water changes every 2 or 3 days roughly. I thoroughly vacuum different spots in the sand bed each time.
The fish all seem totally fine with the water changes and all of my soft corals have perked up immensely. But I'm wondering if all these water changes might somehow affect my biological filtration. Is all that neasty brown crap actually somehow beneficial or is there no drawback to doing so many changes?

bseth36

the water changes are great for your tank, but i would only do the water change ONCE per week. Every 2-3 days is WAY too often. Also, don't skim too much of the substrate, because too much bacteria will be removed from the system.

S

sinner's girl

If you have a problem you're trying to fix, every 3 days is fine, otherwise once a week is better. HOwever, I'm not sure about vacuuming the sand, cc yes, but I thought you didn't need to vacuume sand?

mikeyjer

Originally Posted by migston
Ok I've been bad and somewhat neglected my tank for a little bit. As a result I had a severe outbreak of bubble algae and hair algae. I initially did a pretty big water change of around 10 gallons on my roughly 65 gallon system two weeks ago. Since then I've been doing 5 gallon water changes every 2 or 3 days roughly. I thoroughly vacuum different spots in the sand bed each time.
The fish all seem totally fine with the water changes and all of my soft corals have perked up immensely. But I'm wondering if all these water changes might somehow affect my biological filtration. Is all that neasty brown crap actually somehow beneficial or is there no drawback to doing so many changes?
5 gallons every 2 to 3 days is just fine. What type of water are you using??? I think when you siphon the sand, you've stirred up some stuffs within. I would stop siphoning for now. How long have the tank been setup? What lighting and lighting schedule you have'em under??? :happyfish

stanlalee

well I wouldn't consider a 10 gallon (15% water change) a large water change, I do 10 gallon changes every week or two on my 30 gallon but yes 5 gallons every 2-3 days from a 65 gallon is fine.

migston

Originally Posted by Mikeyjer
5 gallons every 2 to 3 days is just fine. What type of water are you using??? I think when you siphon the sand, you've stirred up some stuffs within. I would stop siphoning for now. How long have the tank been setup? What lighting and lighting schedule you have'em under??? :happyfish
The tank has been up and running for about 2 years. My lighting is 4x54 T-5s and I run them about 10 hours a day from 2pm-midnight.
All of the water that goes into the tank is RO/DI althhough I think my filters have been exhausted already. Replacements have been ordered and are on the way.
So people don't siphon sand beds anymore? mine isn't a DSB by any means. It's about 2 inches or so of Aragonite.

S

sinner's girl

So people don't siphon sand beds anymore? mine isn't a DSB by any means. It's about 2 inches or so of Aragonite.
:notsure: I thought that was the point of ls...otherwise, I'll stick with cc, I'm just stick of having to vacuum every water change...

L

lionfish69

I have a 75g reef, did a big water change more than half. all of a sudden the nextday I had red slime starting on my cc. now I turn down lite schedule and not feeding but every other day and this stuff is growing hairy at times. so can you remove to much bacteria?
And how long to make it up?
tank been running for -10mos.

L

lionfish69

Also has anyone got rid of this stuff quickly. it hurts me to look at it?

mikeyjer

Originally Posted by migston
The tank has been up and running for about 2 years. My lighting is 4x54 T-5s and I run them about 10 hours a day from 2pm-midnight.
All of the water that goes into the tank is RO/DI althhough I think my filters have been exhausted already. Replacements have been ordered and are on the way.
I still wouldn't siphon it. I would just leave it. Have you ever changed out those light bulbs?? :happyfish

mikeyjer

Originally Posted by Lionfish69
Also has anyone got rid of this stuff quickly. it hurts me to look at it?

You cut the nutrients, they'll go away. The brown diatom in my new tank is disappearing after a week later, it still have some, but mainly gone. :happyfish