too much ammonia?

ccrljmr

i just added 25 lbs of LR and 1 raw shrimp. is it possible for ammonia to spike too high, or does it not matter how high it goes? Right now it's a little over 2.0, but I've only had the shrimp and LR in for 1 day.
Also, will nitrites develop automatically after the ammonia, or does something else need to bee done?

bigarn

The cycle is doing fine... Ammonia can spike at all different levels. The nitrite level will rise on it's own...you don't have to do anything. Oh yeah... if the ammonia has spiked you can take the shrimp out now. :D

fishcake

after your ammonia and nitrite say 0. You will have nitrates.
you would then execute 10-15% water change to bring the nitrate lvl's down then slowly add 1 fish every 2-3 weeks

ccrljmr

nitrites are at 10 after 2 days. Is this good? Seems like its going a lot faster than i was originally told. I've been hearing 3 weeks to cycle on these boards. my LFS told me about a week(which is what it's looking like)

snipe

Your cycle is moving really fast I thought mine was fast but man 2.0 in 1 day and nitrite readings on day 2 that is great you will probly be done cycling in a week to 2 weeks tops.

cvk531

wow, i wish mine was that fast, but of coarse yours is a smaller tank, maybe that's why it's faster, goodluck with your sw tank

dreeves

Nitrite is a byproduct of consumed Amonia...when the Nitrite is consumed...its waste will be Nitrate...when Nitrate is consumed its byproduct will be Nitrogen.
Each cycle is as unique as the tank it is occuring in...your guidlines are the Nitrites and finally Nitrates...when the Nitrites are 0, then I would let the tank set for awhile (personally I do about 2 more weeks). This allows the chemistry in the water column to begin to stabilize...patience is a very important attribute in this hobby.

bigarn

Originally posted by lawdawg161
So once the ammonia has spiked (mine's around 2.0) it's time to remove the raw shrimp?

Yep. :D

snipe

I let mine spike until it was at the max on my test kit. Once its that high it really isnt gonna be any use cause your test kit wont test any higher. I took mine out and they would about make you puke it was nasty :nervous: