too much filteration

rez101

ok is there a thing of to much filteration I have a 55gal and already have the filter it can with it is an aquatech 60 but I have room to apply another would it be the more the better or overkill also I have to power heads
thanks

Depends on what you want.....bioload (fish) vs. filtration.
Protein skimmers, LR, LS, Refugiums, trickle filters, etc.....are all options for filtration.
What type of setup do you want?
Fish only? Reef? FOWLR?
MCF

beaslbob

Originally posted by rez101
ok is there a thing of to much filteration I have a 55gal and already have the filter it can with it is an aquatech 60 but I have room to apply another would it be the more the better or overkill also I have to power heads
thanks

The direct answer to your question is yes, it is possible to have too much filtration. But with anywhere near normal equipment, it is almost impossible to do.

beaslbob

Originally posted by firefishspike
in my tank I have a wet/dry/skimmer/in sump internal/lr/ls and I still don't think i have enough

I guess we always want more LOL. My 55g has the big tetra tech and i think that is too much. 20g for macro algae culture, 10g fresh, and 62QT tub on the porch have no filtration. All tanks are clear. 10g has 30 guppies, 55g a tang, 5 damsels, 5 turbo, 2 crabs, buncha hermits, a bahama star and green brittle star, 20g macro algae has macro algae, and the tub is just starting with macro algae i collected from a bay.
To me what is important is that the water is clear and the tank is stable and balanced.