Too much light for a 29g reef?

bambam_250r

:notsure: I was thinking of keeping my 29g reef for a while since my wife wrecked her car
and now I can't afford to upgrade to a whole new tank (the 75 gallon I wanted). I could get a really good deal on a dual 175W metal halide ballast and was thinking of running just one bulb on my 29 until I can up grade in the future.
1- 175watt MH
2- 65 watt PC actinics
Too much? Maybe put a 150watt bulb in the ballast? I just don't want to pass up the deal and don't want the lights just laying around. What if it was a 250 watt MH?

jmick

What's in the tank? I don't think it'd be too much light, I have seen 250's over that sized tank.

bambam_250r

just some softies now, but I want a clam and some SPS. Start them in there then move them into the big tank. But, I mainly just like the look of MHs compared to PCs in a reef tank. Whether it's softies or not.

wangotango

that sounds pretty good actually. how are the leathers doing under the lighting? ive seen a lot of leathers under halide keep closed up and green.
-Justin

jimmy 4

my brother is an electrician and he said he can get me a used 400w metal halide balast and fixture for about $20. Its like the lights that are in Menards, Home depo, or Lowels. I only have a 29 gallon though lol.