too much light for RBTA?

ogredawg

When I first got my Rose Bubble Tip it was deep red and was right under my friends 150w mh. Now in my tank he's right under (12" away) my 250w mh and he's color is turning more like bright orange red and bubbling up more. Do you think my anemone is getting too much light? Also my friends tank doesn't have as much flow as I do because I keep sps and he doesn't, only lps.
First day, about half the size of his current size.

And here he is now, 5 min. ago

Here's a full tank shot. It's a regular 50g truvu

brandon7491

hmm well it looks pretty darn good to me. have u been feeding it at all? it would move if it was feeling stressed from the light. im guessing ur params are good due to ur sps.

ogredawg

params are good except for nitrates (20 ppm). I've been feeding him silversides and squid. I'm just worried that it might bleach due to the light.

brandon7491

it definantly would not bleach due to the light because they need high lighting as u know. only thing i can really say is dont touch it cuz everytime you touch it or try to move it it takes years off its life. othat than that just give it time and try and get ur trates down that could b the prob even though its not likely

bullitr

i think they do better on bright lights ..i have mine on 400 watts and its up top ,about 12 " away from the bulb

gnorman

just want to comment on your tank. the rockwork is freaken awesome, wish i could get my tank looking like that. ive had my rockwork the same way for too long and it needs a change....
anyways, love the tank

michaeltx

did you light acclimate it. changing the lighting quickly can cause a a bleaching effect on any corals. They should be able to get adjusted to the new lights alittle but at a time.
think about your eyes when some one turns a bright light on your face. it take some time before your eyes can adjust and use the bright light same thing with corals if the get bombed with a brighter light than they are used to then it takes some time for them to adjust and they can and do bleach out some before that happens.
HTH
mike

ogredawg

Brandon: Thanks, I'll make sure not to touch it or try to move it from its current spot. I didn't know that touching the anemone could shorten their life span.
Bullitr: Ok that is great to know that there's another rbta that is under a strong light (wells yours is way stronger than mine lol). How long have you had your Rose for?
Norman: Thanks for the comment. I started with just 3 big rocks then added from there. I guess I just got lucky on the rock pieces/shapes. Got any pics of your tank?
MichaelTX: No I have to admit that I didn't light acclimate it. My friend had it right under a 150w mh but I think he had a 10k bulb. This anemone kept on walking up higher on his tank, so I thought it wanted more light. Does it look like it's bleaching? Wouldn't it move before it starts bleaching if it's getting too much light?