Too Much Light??

ktsdad

We are having a 225 gallon tank being made for us.

The dimensions are 72WX30DX24Tall.
The retro kit I keep looking at has 3 MH and 4 96w PC.
I just can't decide between the 250W or the 400W MH.
Since the tank is only 24" tall, I am leaning toward the 250.
The extra money for the 400w bulbs and ballest is not an issue, we have been saving for a really long time for this and I want to do it right the first time!
I want to be able to put SPS, clams and any other cool thing I can find in this tank.

Any recommendations would be appreciated.
Thanks.

murph145

sounds like a cool project .... nice size tank...
well if price is no issue id say the 400 watters for sps.... i mean you would probably be fine with the 250's but ud be happier with the 400's im sure .... the only thing is your probably most deffinately going to need a chiller depending on how you have the lighting set up.... in canopy or hanging above....
id go for the 400's if i were you

ktsdad

Heat from the lights is being controlled by 4 fans that are being built into the canopy and the use of a chiller on my closed loop system.
I am leaning toward the 400s.
The current tank (60gal) I have is running 400w of PCs with some softies and a few fish.
Guess they will need some fish sunglasses once I get their new home up and running!

Thanks for the input!

ktsdad

BTW - Murph145 Where are you in So Cal?
We are out in the Lancaster/Palmdale/Edwards AFB area.
Do you know of any reef clubs, or good LFS?
I have a few in LA that I drive to every now and then just to check out what they got.
Always looking for new stores to check out!

db

I would go with the 250's if it were me. I don't think you need 400's and a tank that is 24 inches deep. I think that you only need to go 400's when you have a tank that is more than 30" deep.

killer2004

Here are my 2 cents:
-I just bought a 210 gals reef ready tank that is 29" high and the lights I'm looking at will total to 1840 watts. I'm looking at getting 3x400w MH's with 4x160w VHO's but I'm having a cabinet place build me a custom canopy that sits about 12"-18" high. I would go for the 400w but since your tank is not that high, see if you can build a custom canopy for your tank. Good luck with everything!

flatzboy

400's are gonna be a little heavy on the electric bill.. You really don't need 400 watters either on a 24'' tall tank.. I'd run 4 240 watt hqi metal halides in pfo mini pendants with pfo hqi ballasts and 14k pheonix bulbs..

murph145

hey there ktsdad......

i live in simi valley.... i know where you are my dad lives out in acton and i do a lot of work out in palmdale.... i do flooring in new houses mainly hardwood floors.... but yeah im out in palmdale a couple times a month mainly valencia though....
ummm the LFS's that i go to are out here in my area ive never gone out to LA... do you know of any nice stores?? out here we have some ok ones nothing too crazy .... none of the stores i go to carry sps id like to go to a store that does.... not that i can keep any i would just like to look at some to give me the motivation ro upgrade my tank to a bigger one like yours with some sps corals.... id like to take the next step :thinking: i think lol
but yeah if you know of any cool stores id be willing to check them out too im always up to browse through new stores in hopes of finding a good selection.... right now my tanks pretty full though i cant really put much more but if i found something really cool i would...
where ats in the high desert are you?? off ramp ??
take care!!!

dogstar

My tank is 27 in. tall and I have 3 250w se and keep anemones and clams and LPS just fine. Never tried any sticks.

ktsdad

I have a lot of time to think about this and I am going back to the original plan of 3 x 250MH 10K.
Now the choice is 4 x 96w PC or 2 x 165w VHO???? :notsure: :notsure:
Murph - we are actually in California City, about 25 miles North of Edwards AFB (14 freeway thru Mojave about 5 miles). There are a few places we go in LA, we have family down there so when we go to see them we stop by. Send me an email and I will pass on names and address david.lathrop3@verizon.net.
Thanks for the input everyone!
One more question - what is the best way to acclimate some softies from 384w of PC to 750w of MH? I am assuming I want to do it slowly as to not burn the toadstools :notsure:

flatzboy

Go the vho route with uri super actinics they have a built in reflector.. As for aclimation, cut a piece of eggcrate to fit the top of your tank and put about 5-8 layers of screen over it and remove one layer every 3 days.