Too much light?

bambam_250r

I have a 29 ViaAqua tank that I've had forever. Always ran 2 65W PCs. Was thinking of going to 1 150W metal halide and put both PCs 65W actinics in. Should I only put in one? Is 150W MH too much? With all 3 bulbs I'm at 280 watts.

perfectdark

For a 29 I think the 150W halide is perfect. You can have anything you want in your tank with that. As for the others I dont think they are going to make a difference with them. So, eliminating them would be better, less heat less algea build up. You could supplement with white and drk blue LED's for night time and evening appearances. just my 2 cents. You are most likely going to have to address some sort of heat issue as it is with the halides, FYI.

bambam_250r

Thanks for the info. I know about the heat issue and think I have a good idea about that. Light will be about 8 inches off of the water.
So, no actinics PCs huh? I have a bunch of LEDs I got that are SWEET for moonlights. I'm going to build my own moonlights. They are cool. You think I should use those during the day? My MH bulb would be 10,000K. If I use just the MH, should I use a 14,000K? or 20,000K?

perfectdark

Only going on what I have seen, I would say 14,000k for your MH bulb. And I really dont think it will matter if the LED's are on or off while the Halides are on. They wont offer anything to the tank as the MH are very very powerful. Nano tuners sells an all in one 150W 14000k MH with white and blue acentic leds for night time, in a cool assembly complete with hanging kit.

bambam_250r

Cool site. I was going to build my own, could do it for about $125. I did see they had 4 x 24W t5s. Whould that be as good?

perfectdark

No t-5's arent as powerful as Halides, from what i have read they are as powerful as PC's but run more efficiently. Basically they are a newer technology to PC's. I think if they were as good more people would be using them as they are much cheaper.

clay12340

Too much light is relative to what you keep. If you have a tank full of corals that are adapted to low light conditions and you add a 150W halide to that tank your corals will suffer.
If you are tired of the corals you have and want to move to more light needy corals and clams, then that would be a fine change.

bambam_250r

Originally Posted by Clay12340
Too much light is relative to what you keep. If you have a tank full of corals that are adapted to low light conditions and you add a 150W halide to that tank your corals will suffer.
If you are tired of the corals you have and want to move to more light needy corals and clams, then that would be a fine change.
I was thinking about that. I plan on acclimating my corals to the new light. You know, run the lights short at first and lengthen it during a week or 2. I just like the way MHs look in a reef. SO SWEET! You get that shimmer and everything! Maybe I should stay with the PCs since I don't NEED the halides. We'll see. I would love a clam in there though.....

cjason3041

i have a 29 G biocube that has 72W PC stock... i switched to a sunpod 150 HQI MH and that is all i run.. no actics...and it is great...i have a 14k bulb but am thinking of a 20K....we'll see