too much lighting for a 29g tank?

bentrue

I just put in my 55watt actinic and 55watt 10,000K power compacts. WOW :eek: what a difference the new lights make!
after putting these lights in, my bubble tip anemone retreated to the lowest point of my LR. do i have too much lighting for this tank or will the anemone just need time to adjust to the drastic lighting change?
i also plan on adding some corals soon.

kris walker

I think your BTA needs to get used to the light. If you are really concerned, you might want to take one bulb out for a few days, then put it back in (give the guy a chance to acclimate).
Also, you might not have enough light for SPS corals. But I think your great for softies and perhaps LPS.
sam

ironreef

probally just need to get use to the light= acclimate. My rose bta is under 2_250w and 4_110w vho. Up in the middle of my tank. @ 12" away from the lights.

bradsmack

Definately dude.. i have a 29Gal Saltwater and i went from a 50/50 flouresent to a 55watt 10,000k PowerCompact and it totally fried my Bubble Anemone.. he is finally getting better now after like 4 months! Im plannin on adding an Actinic Blue bulb to the mixture soon too... for some more blue spectrum.. but the PC is super bright by itself! I have Two Umbrella Leathers.. and A finger leather that is growing like crazy, And a Patch of Anethia and Green Buttons.. all doing just fine. I wouldnt go for the SPS's at all... too much risk with them.. plus they arent all that cool

adrian

You must always acclimate your corals to new lighting, you cant just turn them back on for the same photoperiod or your corals are bound to be POed, like Sammy said they have to adjust to new lighting, you can either reduce the photoperiod and gradually increase it over time and/or elevate the lights and gradaully lower them over time. Placing the corals lower in the tank will help also. Its definitely not too much light, I had two 55 watt PCs and 2 75 watt VHOs on my old 29, Now I have 2 75 watt VHOs and a 175 MH on it :eek: Of course the amount of light depends on the corals in the tank. HTH

option720

I have seen a 29 gallon tank that runs 150 watts of VHO and 250 watts of MH and his tank is great.http://www.fitermania.com/aquarium/index.htm
Check it out!

dizzy

I posted this earlier down below on this board, but how are you managing the heat that those bulbs are putting out. I am having serious heating issues on my 29-gal.
Diz

kris walker

Yea, I see a little fan on the left built into his canopy. Having an open back for the canopy really helps a lot as well.
sam