too much lighting...?

vejomatic

Heres the gist. I am struggling between building a canopy for a 20G Long and installing (2) 75W VHO bulbs in it, OR, buying a complete 24hr. PowerCompact fixture (2-65W).
Question is. With only 12" of depth in the 20G long light penetration would be easy with either. But, am I going overboard with the VHO? Is 150W VHO gonna zap my tank? Aside from heat and evaporation issues (I've accepted the fact that water changes will become more frequent and the liberal$ use of Fans will be needed) is there any other considerations I would need to address for safe keeping of my inhabitants and corals? :thinking:
tank dimensions:
30"L, 12"X12"
2-65W Power Compact = 6.5WPG
2-75 VHO = 7.5WPG
If I could get some good solid responses today I would appreciate it. I am going to the DEPOT today to pick up materials for the canopy if I do decide to go that route and if so, I will have some pics up later showing my weekend DIY canopy job....maybe a tank shot too

~vm

thegrog

Either one would work fine. Neither is overkill. If you are still a little worried, place the bulbs a few inches higher above the water surface (like 4-6") to lessen the chances of baking anything!