Too much lighting?

matt850

Is 432 watts too much for a 48" tank? Can you actually have too much? That is 8 bulbs of T5 and I could get half a fixture for 1/3 less cash. I don't know what I will be keeping in my new tank yet, still looking at options but I am sure that I will migrate toward SPS and clams eventually. Bulbs look like they go for around $30 each so I am trying to get enough without overkill, cost is a factor. The tank I am looking at is a standard 120g so it will be 25" deep.

Different corals thrive under different lighting conditions, so it is possible to have too much light. But I don't think you have too much light. If your planning on getting calms, they need alot.

kjord97

On my old 48" 75 gal, I had 2 x 400 watt metal halide and 2 x 96 watt PC actinics. EVerything grew like weeds, now I just upgaded, I am building my canopy for my new 150 gal, it will have 3 x 400 watt metal halide under spyder reflectors and 2 x 48 T5 actinics.
Actinic bulbs can be found for $21.99 and the UVL series is just as good as any other.

matt850

Originally Posted by markanderson
http:///forum/post/2767505
Different corals thrive under different lighting conditions, so it is possible to have too much light. But I don't think you have too much light. If your planning on getting calms, they need alot.
I figure I can put corals with lesser needs such as zoos and leathers (if I even mess with these) towards the bottom or under an overhang. How much should I need for SPS and clams in a 25" deep tank if the clams are on the bottom? I don't want to mess with the heat of MH which is what I have on my current nano.

the heat of MH can be countered with a fan. Its cheap and easy. You could probably get away with the sps at current light level, but for calms I would acutally say your going to need more light. I have calms once with two 400 watt of MH in a 25 in tank and they did fine.

kjord97

as mentioned the heat is easily countered with fans and the proper lighting control. My tank rarely exceeds 78 degrees with the 3 x 400 halides. I dont run a chiller eaither. One thing i do is run the halides at different times and over lap there times. Right now i am running 3.5 hours each bulb with an overlap of 30 mins per bulb.
I do love T5's though, but i see alot of people do better with shallow 18-23" inch tanks, halides are easier with 24" and deeper. My 150 is 31" deep.

nycbob

if u hv an 8-bulb t5 with individual reflectors, it will be fine even with clams (derasa and squamosa) 2 feet away. if its the corcea or maxima type, just keep it top to middle of tank. the important factor here does ur fixture hv individual reflectors?