Too much live rock???

rigdon87

Hey, is it possible to have too much lr in your tank? I have a 120(48x24x24) with a little over 300lbs in it, does anybody think that too much or can hurt anything?

defcon11

Only three ways can it hurt:
a) you put too much LR in there, and it leans against the glass and you can't effectively clean it, so you can't effectively look in your tank.
b)something dies in the tank and you have to search through even more rock than your 300 #s
c) the stand you have it on can't hold the weight and the tank comes crashing down spilling saltwater, LR, LS, livestock, shards of glass, and what remains of the tank stand all over the floor; thus ruining carpet/hardwood floor, or creating a real mess for a tiled room.
IMHO the more LR the better. I mean you can never have enough filtration right?

natclanwy

The more rock you add the more difficult it becomes to provide adequate flow through the rock to prevent dietrus accumulation and creating a nitrate factory. It also depends on the what you are keeping in your tank, if you are keeping tangs and other types of active swimmers you want to keep the tank somewhat open so they have plenty of room to swim.
On thing to add, if you have a proper cleanup crew there is no reason to tear apart your aquascape looking for something dead, you are causing more problems than you are solving when you do this. My 55g tank and inhabitants can dispose of a 3" fish in less than a day, in the 4 years I have had this tank up and running I have only removed two fish the rest were never found.

florida joe

Originally Posted by natclanwy
http:///forum/post/2962574
The more rock you add the more difficult it becomes to provide adequate flow through the rock to prevent dietrus accumulation and creating a nitrate factory. It also depends on the what you are keeping in your tank, if you are keeping tangs and other types of active swimmers you want to keep the tank somewhat open so they have plenty of room to swim.
On thing to add, if you have a proper cleanup crew there is no reason to tear apart your aquascape looking for something dead, you are causing more problems than you are solving when you do this. My 55g tank and inhabitants can dispose of a 3" fish in less than a day, in the 4 years I have had this tank up and running I have only removed two fish the rest were never found.
My friend I know that you know the phrase Nitrate factory is very misleading. Not knowing the experience of the OP. let me just add. Everything we add to our tank that has organic brake down, will eventually lead to nitrate levels. Proper feeding practices should not leave the hobbyist with any detritus problems. IMO

king_neptune

Originally Posted by natclanwy
http:///forum/post/2962574
The more rock you add the more difficult it becomes to provide adequate flow through the rock to prevent dietrus accumulation and creating a nitrate factory.
How do you propose going about a fuge? I typically see, and was planing myself, a pile of rocks in the sump. Not much to do about flow in there.

renogaw

only issue i'd see is not enough room for fish to swim around and the expense of 300 lbs of LR...

rigdon87

I pretty much have two walls built up in the back with lots of caves and hidden spots, but there is ten inches between the rock and glass up front that should be enough shouldn't it? ill post pics soon

natclanwy

Originally Posted by florida joe
http:///forum/post/2962584
My friend I know that you know the phrase Nitrate factory is very misleading. Not knowing the experience of the OP. let me just add. Everything we add to our tank that has organic brake down, will eventually lead to nitrate levels. Proper feeding practices should not leave the hobbyist with any detritus problems. IMO
You are correct it is misleading, and I don't particularly care for the term nitrate factory either but at the time I was at a loss for different terminology
I have to disagree somewhat though I believe that even with proper feeding practices its possible to create a nitrate source just from fish poo that accumulates inside the rock work not as likely but regardless if you don't have proper flow through the rock you run the risk of having a buildup of unprocessed waste that will eventually leach nitrate back into the system.
Originally Posted by King_Neptune

http:///forum/post/2962643
How do you propose going about a fuge? I typically see, and was planing myself, a pile of rocks in the sump. Not much to do about flow in there.
In your fuge you shouldn't have as much dietrus accumulating as you will in your display tank so its not quite as important to have good flow through the rubble but most setups that I have seen have the rubble elevated off the bottom of the fuge in the drain section so that the water has to flow through the rubble and under a baffle into the next section similar to a Wet dry filter. You can add some small PH to your fuge if needed to keep waste from accumulating there also. The Koralias nano PH work well for this duty.
Also if you are looking for increased denitrification from this LR rubble you probably won't get any or at least very little denitrifaction from LR rubble. IMO LR rubble has very little area if any to support anaerobic bacteria because the smaller pieces have more surface area exposed to the water column compared with the total volume of the rock.