took a few pics

teen

its cold and rainy so i took some shots. i got a decent pic of my ORA blue tort and valida colony, as well as a few others. just thought i would share

click to make them bigger
valida colony

blue tip stag

crocea clam

A. nana

ORA blue tort

ORA blue millepora

Maxima clam

not my best pics, but im bored so i figured id post anyway.

azfishgal

Your corals are looking great. If you want to get out of the cold, come to Phoenix, it was 95 yesterday.

teen

thanks guys.
actually, its been rather warm here the last week or so. today was the first cold day, and its wet out so that doesnt help. but they're saying its gunna stay like this, so AZ sounds like fun. lol.

teen

thanks guys.
i put that ORA blue mille up high and in high flow and its really starting to take off. wish i could say the same about the tort. thing is a super slow grower.

murph145

lookin good teen! i remember the day when u just thought about sps now look at u everything is doin great! nice work

nietzsche

wow teen, looks awesome! how do you keep up with calcium? do you use a two part? do you have any problems with flow and your sand blowing around? love your maxima and crocea btw
i wish i could get into sps but im still just getting the hang of the chemistry aspect :[

murph145

Originally Posted by teen
lol, thanks. i have to admit though, your tank has had a lot of influence on me.
well thanks

its awesome to see how well your sps have done so far seems like everyone is happy... i still have corals here and there that act up i wish all just would be happy lol

teen

nietzsche: i dose purple up as a calcium additive. i didnt buy it specifically for that (i bought it when i was a newb and i wanted coraline in my tank), but all it does is raise calcium, so ill use it until i run out, then ill buy another calcium additive. as for alkalinity, i dose kalkwasser almost everynight , and that keeps my alk at 9. occasionally ill add some magnesium, but i havent done that in a few months and my colors are great as well as my coraline growth so i see no need for it right now.
murph145: as of now everybody seems to be happy. the problem im having though is that its only a 30 gallon tank. what were once a bunch of 1" frags are now 3-6" colonies/mini colonies and im starting to get worried i dont have enough room. ive been doing a lot of fragging, and what im noticing is that that is only encouriging more growth. i mean its cool, but im seriously out of room and i still have frags on my sand bed that need to go into the rockwork.

nietzsche

what do you keep your parameters at?
ive been having problems with mine, but im assuming its because i have low magnesium levels. 380ppm for cal, 10dKH for alk, low pH of 7.8. i have to start looking for a magnesium test kit and better test kits for calcium and alk
edit: oh and how do you keep the temperature constant? do you use a chiller?

teen

honestly i dont test much besides my alk. and i dont even test that a lot anymore. i know that by dosing a predetermined amount of kalk, my alk will stay at 9 dkh. i also know that the amonut of calcium my tank uses is replaced by the amount of calcium im dosing.
i did test at first, and thats how i came up with the predetermined amount of additives. i also take into account that the corasl/clams grow, thus using more magnesium and more calcium.
mainly i just watch the corals. when i frag a branch off a hard coral, it takes about 2 days for it to heal over. in about a week i see a nub starting to form and the feeder tentacle comes out at night. thats how i kind of keep an eye on things. as well as watching some of my faster growers, like my mircopthalma and my montis.
my coraline has exploded and keeps growing at an alarming rate, so i know my alk and magnesium are in check, and all my corals have great color. its not snowing and my pumps dont have excess calcium build up, and at the same time the corals are growing, so i know my calcium is where it needs to be.
if i had to guess, id say my calcium is between 400-430, my dkh is at 9, and my magnesium is about 1250-1300. my pH is at 8.3 which i attribut to my tank being next to a indow which i leave open a lot to let fresh air in. higher pH allows for better calcification of the corals.
nope, no chiller. i have a small heater that i unplug before i go to school in the morning and plug back in at night. (it seems to stay on a lot, even when the temp is at 80, so i unplug it so it doesnt overheat anything). if the temp goes abpve 82, i turn a fan on and that brings it down to 79. temp goes from about 78 at nigh to 82 in the day.
and might as well say this too, i only turn my skimmer on about twice a week. i turn it on overnight, let it skime overnight and into the next day then i shut it off. do that again sometime during the week. i see no need for it to be on 24/7.

nietzsche

last question: how's your flow in your tank? does it create a problem with the sand bed?
i think if i were ever to get into sps for my 28 just to get a hang of it before a larger one, id have to invest in a chiller because of the hot summers and my halides

azfishgal

Originally Posted by teen
so AZ sounds like fun. lol.
Well, instead of being snowed in during the winter we stay in during the summer. Winter is our play time and it will soon be here!!
At least the nights have cooled off now so it's not bad anymore.
BTW, sounds like it's time to upgrade your tank to a larger one.

teen

Originally Posted by nietzsche
last question: how's your flow in your tank? does it create a problem with the sand bed?
i think if i were ever to get into sps for my 28 just to get a hang of it before a larger one, id have to invest in a chiller because of the hot summers and my halides
i have about 46x flow right now. i just got 2 tunze nanostreams in the mail today. they're upgraded and pushing like 1200 gph, so im gunna put them in my tank and see if i get a sand storm. i dont think i will. im hoping they'll be perfect.
youd be suprised how well a fan works. id try that before buying a chiller. they cost a lot and are expensive to run.
Originally Posted by azfishgal

Well, instead of being snowed in during the winter we stay in during the summer. Winter is our play time and it will soon be here!!
At least the nights have cooled off now so it's not bad anymore.
BTW, sounds like it's time to upgrade your tank to a larger one.

i enjoy experiencing all 4 seasons here. i mean sometimes they outstay there welcome, but its cool to have times of the year when your snowed in, and other times when its so hot the only place you can go is the beach.
if i had the money for lights, my 110 would have already been up and running. makes me want to get another job.

teen

no problem. i just sold about 5 packs over the last 2 months. i dont plan on fragging for another 2-3 months, but ill let you know when i do if you're interested.
on a sidenote, i just put the tunze nanostreams in my tank. both are modded. ones pushing 1000gph, the other 700 gph. i put them in in addition to my seio which is pushing 850gph and my return pump which is pushing 350 gph (head loss accounted for). thats like 96x turnover im running right now. suprisingly, the sand bed hasnt moved, but all the junk in the rocks did get picked up so im waiting for it to all settle down. ill post pics and maybe a video later.