Top 3 most hardy tangs?

kevine6678

Originally Posted by BreckCo.KY
http:///forum/post/3044114
I like the naso,hippo,and powder tangs ,which is the most hardy type of all tangs in thehobby?
those are all pretty tough to keep. If you want an easier tang go with a yellow, scopus, purple, or sailfin. I wouldn't say that they're easy to keep but they seem to hold up better than some of the others. Especially if you feed them lots of greens.

drtito

Originally Posted by kevine6678
http:///forum/post/3044121
those are all pretty tough to keep. If you want an easier tang go with a yellow, scopus, purple, or sailfin. I wouldn't say that they're easy to keep but they seem to hold up better than some of the others. Especially if you feed them lots of greens.
+ 1 my yellow tang has bin with me for some time now and I had a sailfin for a long time 4 years
(i miss that fish and have no gotten another), both of them are/were great fish.

coastie81

there is also somethig else to worry about is the size of tank they are going into. I looked at your profile and it says you have a 55. Are you planning on getting one of these? if so I would only house it in that size of a tank for a ver yshort time as tangs need alot of swimming room. I would not reccomend putting a tang into noting less that a 100 gallons. Just my .02

R

rcreations

My Naso tang is really hardy and doesn't let any other fish push him around. Eats everything and is very healthy. Never had any problems with him.

ophiura

IMO, I would not consider any tang particularly "hardy."
They have very specialized needs in terms of tank conditions, behavior, etc. They are quite prone to disease, relative to some other fish we keep. So I agree, once again, with florida joe in terms of the question...the experience and dedication of the hobbyist is probably just as important as the "hardiness" of the fish.

If you have a reef tank, in particular, remember that tangs can produce quite a lot of waste. Depending on your existing bioload, this could be an issue. They are prone to getting ick, so I recommend QT, because treating (or removing a fish) from a reef tank is no small undertaking.
I definitely would not recommend a Naso in a 125. A Kole is very much a favorite of mine, but you have to watch for mouth problems which can be common :( otherwise once established they are "relatively" hardy. The "powder" tangs are often hit hard by ick.

stanlalee

Most common available species of Zebrasomas (ex. yellow, scopus), Ctenochaetus (bristletooth: ex. kole, tomini) and Naso/Unicorn's if you have the room are hardy as far as tangs go. the least hardy all come from the acanthurus/paracanthurus(hippo tang) family aka all the good looking surgeon fish

florida joe

Ophiura having a Kole tang myself can you post some more information on the mouth problems associated with Koles?

ophiura

Originally Posted by florida joe
http:///forum/post/3044906
Ophiura having a Kole tang myself can you post some more information on the mouth problems associated with Koles?
I don't know too much about what it is, specifically. But if you go to an LFS that carries a lot of any given fish, you'll often see that many of the bristle tooth species can have, effectively, a "fat lip" that keeps them from eating well. This is one species I personally would always by at an LFS, because I would want to see that the mouth is in good shape. I don't know if it is a merely collecting and handling damage, perhaps with secondary infection, or what. But when I worked at an LFS, we would have at least 6 Kole's at a time, and some percentage of them always seemed to have a mouth issue.

florida joe

Originally Posted by ophiura
http:///forum/post/3044988
I don't know too much about what it is, specifically. But if you go to an LFS that carries a lot of any given fish, you'll often see that many of the bristle tooth species can have, effectively, a "fat lip" that keeps them from eating well. This is one species I personally would always by at an LFS, because I would want to see that the mouth is in good shape. I don't know if it is a merely collecting and handling damage, perhaps with secondary infection, or what. But when I worked at an LFS, we would have at least 6 Kole's at a time, and some percentage of them always seemed to have a mouth issue.
O I am not really sure if this is what your are taking about. MY Kole always has had puffy lips I think it is inherent in this fish and helps them in removing algae for food

ophiura

No, that's normal. In some it is almost like they have lock-jaw. They can't really move their mouths in the normal way.
In short, when seeing this animal at an LFS, the characteristic "mouth marks" should be visible on any decor, rock, or glass that may have some algae on it. This indicates it is "grazing normally"