Top Fatham Protein Skimmer

h2o

Does anyone here uses this brand? How do you feel about it? I personally have a T100 bought it 4 yrs ago, but i am thinking to upgrade to a "powerful" skimmer as this one doesn't seem to work too well with my Eheim 1250.
I am thinking also about the modify it's intake pvc elbow to a larger diameter from home depot, hoping it will increase flow and thus performs better. I need your opinion on such skimmer, if it's still a good skimmer, maybe i need a more powerful pump.

bingo

Believe it or not, but I just picked up a TF100 a month or so ago. Top Fathoms are actually built by me in West Michigan, so I'm a little partial :) I have mine running on a 75 gallon, and it's powered by a Mag 7. From what I've heard, these skimmers work much better with stronger pumps than listed, so you might want to try that. I haven't tried any others myself, but my LFS uses Mag 7s on these models too. I would try that, a Mag 7 pushes twice as much as an Eheim 1250. Personally, I know there are more powerful and fancy skimmers out there, but I love the Top Fathom design and simplicity. Plus, they're cheap! I'd keep it and try upgrading the pump.

h2o

thanks for reply. but it wasn't cheap when i got it, i got it for $189 + 8.5% tax 4 years ago, not including a pump.
Since you built it and own one with a powerful mag 7 pump. May I ask, I tried using a Rio 2100 with it before but it pumped the water way up into the waste cup, even if i adjust the valve. a mag 7 pumps more gph than a rio 2100, don't you have the problem with water go into the waste up? and how do you feel about enlarge the elbow which comes a small diameter from the factory? thanks.

bingo

I really don't know why you had problems with the water height. Were you running your outlet tube below the water level or above? My model has a hole drilled out on the top of the outlet tube, so it doesn't matter if the outlet is underwater or not. I'm just not sure if they changed the design in there at all. I would probably make sure that nothing is clogged up in the outlet tube, but it shouldn't need bigger tubing, at least mine doesn't at all. If everything is clean, and the end of the outlet tube is above the water level, you shouldn't have water height issues. Hope that helps...