Top of the Tank

bigarn

With Metal Halides I wouldn't use any cover. You could have a heating issue if you do. Just my opinion. :D

mytank

I use egg crate and then top off the water every other day
You can get egg crate at home depotty or menards
good luck

blemmy_guy

is an eggcrate like a metal screen??? , cause i really need something covering it to keep the kids from throwing something in there, if any one has a pic i would appreciate it. thanx to you all. Todd

snipe

Well I had a brain fart :rolleyes:. What about using the glass and just measure the lights I will see what I can do on a pic.
I hope this helps I tried to describe it best I could I think you should get it.
for the heating reverse the fans to pull instead of push it would suck the heat off the top of the water and push it away from the tank. I think I had a pretty good brain fart lol :rolleyes: .

blemmy_guy

Not too shabby an idea, lets see if we can get some others to chime in and see what they think? thanx todd

snipe

Thanks I am thinking of using it for my future light system lol I had a good idea I think :notsure: lol.

mbrands

Originally posted by Nas19320
Eggcrate is the plastic grid thats used under flourescent ceiling lighting.

I thought you meant egg crate like what eggs come in!
<--- LOL at my naivete

mo0nshine

Whats a benifit of not having a top on the tank with MH other than keeping temps down? I have a top on my tank and it seems to keep the temp more stable, usualy never changes more than +/- 1 degree and I also barley loose any water to evaporation

T

tuningvis

a lil but not as much as a salt encrusted glass top... annnnd you dont have that many fish flying out the top of an open one

snipe

But what about my idea? would it work? it would still have evaporation but not as mutch like the egg crates and it wouldnt have any light distortion cause the lights would be completely open.

nas19320

It would function but cutting the glass to size I wouldn't think would be the easiest. Plus evaporation is a good thing, it allows heat to escape and it aides in the addition of kalk if you want to.

snipe

but I also added to revers the fanse so they pull and not push. If they pull then it would suck the heat out of the tank.

nas19320

It's more efficient to cool the water and since cooler air is denser you will push more cfm of air by pulling air in, at least in theory.