Top of the Tank

snipe

huh? :confused: :notsure: :thinking: :nervous: :rolleyes: lol I think I understand but wouldnt pulling rising air out be just as fast since hot air rises the fans would just be rushing this along. Since cold air falls turning it around IMO would be just as fast but you would have to have holes cut out for the extra air to go through that would work.
Use it exatcly as you said by pulling air in and then. cutting holes around the edge of the glass to allow the evaporation and heat escape and still have the glass lid to cut down on fish jumping out of the tank.

stopper

I was told that the cooling fan should force air into the tank. If you pull air out, then you are drawing "salty" air through your fan and can reduce its functional life. By drawing regular room air through the fan you reduce the risk of salt damage.
The eggcrate shown in the pictue above can also be bought with a silver finish. It looks like chrome, very reflective.

nas19320

Snipe-I agree with you on the fan idea, I missed the part where they were on top of the canopy which in that case I would have them pulling out. I assumed that they were on the sides or the back. The only problem I see with your idea is that I don't think it is all that easy to cut glass and the more exposed surface area the better the gas exchange. Since he wants to us MH how would your design work? He can't let the fixture sit on the glass because of the heat and the danger of the bulbs getting splashed.

snipe

yeah it it true but most ppl rais there lights on a canopy so if he raised enough it wouldnt be a problem I think it 8"? and again if the holes were there I dont think it would cause a problem in the gas exchange at all. And if the main hole was cut so the lights were setting directly over the hole "not on the glass" you wouldnt have to worry about filtering light or heat.