Top-off System For Evaporation

eng50

I would just leave it idle, especially if its 5 gal or so, you will use that up in 4 days or so. If anything make the container dark as to discourage algea growth (and clean it out as needed). Especially if you have a light on a refugium!
I have not had a cchnce to look up the unit yet, do you have a link?
Marc, Was just a thought I had, doubt it will ever be a problem!, the air switch would fail in the "off" side before it would fail "on" I think?! Hope all is well, I am still anxiously waiting for the switch, hopefully it will be here tomorrow!! Just have to figure out what type of container and a way to fill it under the tank, probably going to have to come up with a hose type setup as it will be on the right side and hard to get to...
Be well!!

josh

I use a litermeter. Works great for dosing kalk or RO. Very reliable and easy to use. I would recommend one for sure!

oceanjumper

MArinerock,
Some people add kalkwasser to it. I have played with the thought but not more for now. No, I have not seen that Tsunami system either.
Bill,
If I get algae growth in my expensively-purchased RO/DI water, the water will go back to the LFS!! By the way, whatever spot you'll find to place the FW container, make sure you can refill it with your (probably) 5? gl tank/bucket. I use a 5 gl gasoline tank with extended tube to fill. Works great..
Josh,
Is that a drip system? I was thinking of using it for Ca.

oceanjumper

Just to make sure....
- a float swith is not the same as a PLLC
- we have the PLLC in the sump (no snails or other kritters (besides a few pods) there)
Only if you would accidently pull the sensor out of the sump (and the rio 50 in the FW tank still powered up), you would get a (little) flood. On the other hand, if you pull the sensor out, and things do go wrong, you are there to intervene.
Just curious, do you have any weblink to a Litermeter system? I would like to see it. Thx

marinerock

OCEANJUMPER/ENG50...
CHECK OUT CHAMPIONLIGHTING.COM
THEY HAVE A FEW UNITS....
REEF FILLER AND THE TSUNAMI....
GO TO PRODUCTS THEN DOSING SYSTEMS
THANKS FOR THE HELP....
MUCH APPRECIATED...
REGARDS....
MARINEROCK

oceanjumper

MArinerock,
Looks identical to the one of Spectrapure. I don't think there is any difference
Btw, see the drawing on the page! The end of the FW hose is far above the sump's high water level.

lou_brakant

I am in the works of setting up a auto topoff/dosing system for water topoff and trace elements, you might want to try one of these sites, or even look at ----(type in: dosing pump) Some of these dosing pumps can pump up to 6.5 gpd.
http://reef-aquarium.com/pages/pumps.htm
http://www.championlighting.com/e/e...ng_systems.html
http://reefdosingpumps.com/
I am also looking into a standard sump pump on a float switch for the replenish water for an automatic filler too, sump pump from home depot. Alot cheaper and can push water vertically with(minimal pump loss)issues. HTH

marinerock

OCEANJUMPER.....
I THOUGHT THEY LOOKED VERY SIMILAR....
YES, NOW I KNOW WHAT YOU WERE SAYING ABOUT THE
FW RETURN TO SUMP BEING HIGH UP SO THE WATER CAN NOT
BACKFLOW INTO T/O BUCKET....
HOW DID YOU GET YOUR UNIT TO ALLOW THE SUMP WATER
TO DROP 3/4" AND THEN REFILL....THATS THE WAY I WOULD
HOOK IT UP ALSO....? CAUSE NOW I REFILL WHEN THE WATER
LEVEL DROPS ABOUT AN INCH OR TWO....BELOW THE HIGHEST
WATER LEVEL THAT I ALLOW FOR MY SUMP....
REGARDS...
MARINEROCK
LOU....YOU MIGHT ALSO WANT TO CHECK OUT THE SITE LISTED
ABOVE ALSO....GOOD LUCK

oceanjumper

Marinerock,
The sensor activates the T/O unit automatically after ~3/4' water evaporation. There is no *setting* in the unit for e.g .5' or 1'. It is just one setting and that happens to be (in my sump) about 3/4'.
Good luck with setting it all up.

reeferx

Just to represent the old school, I used a simple kent marine type float switch that was gravity fed. Not the completely vertical types you see now, but the kind with the horizontal bulbous plastic float on it.
I had it attached to a five gallon container that stood above my sump. The container was a mix of RO water and kalkwasser. Inspite of the kalk, this thing worked perfectly for over 3 years without fail. If you worry about it failing, just clean it once in a while.
I prefer these to the more modern ones that require pumps because the evap is being replaced constantly. In other words, it doesn't wait till your sump goes down an inch to start replacing water. This method kept my skimmer levels even always.
I recently saw this float switch in a local fish store for $29.