Top off water question?

1990jpyj

i know that i am RO water is the best but, is it possible to use distilled water? my RO unit has a bad leak and i dont have the money to fix it at this time. all i can find at the stores is distilled and spring water.
thanks

jimvette1

I'd check it with a TDS meter to be safe, but it should be better than Tap Water.
Some LFS sell RO/DI water too.
I've also heard some people get their water from Wal-mart, but I can't say how good this water is.

spanko

Brand name steam distilled in the 1 or 2.5 gallon jugs at the grocery store will normally read 0 TDS. I filled my tank with distilled and continue to use distilled for top off to this day. NP here.

subielover

I also switched from ro/di from my lfs to distilled water. I was having lots of algae using the ro/di. I am sure that my lfs just did not change their filters nearly as often but I didn't wanna buy a whole ro unit, as I only have a 14 gallon tank. Since using distilled and some aggressive algae removal I am glad to say my tank has very very little algae left.

dustyboy316

I was told to use distilled if I couldnt get an RO unit.
I have it in my tank now and going to get LR in half an hour. But if you read the label there are hardly any particles at all. I am positive it is good, and probably even better than some RO units.

renogaw

i'd be afraid of copper in the water... distillation processes sometimes condence the steam on copper.

steve24

Originally Posted by spanko
http:///forum/post/2862851
Brand name steam distilled in the 1 or 2.5 gallon jugs at the grocery store will normally read 0 TDS. I filled my tank with distilled and continue to use distilled for top off to this day. NP here.
walmart distilled water is all i`ve used ... filling the tank and top-offs as well

1990jpyj

well i bought some that was made by hinkley springs. my works water guy had some and sold them to me at cost. $1.59 per gallon. so i guess im gonna have to fix that RO unit soon