top off water should be FRESH??

solarscar

I ask this since i am pretty sure that salt doesn't evaporate so when the water level goes down due to evaporation i assume the salt level rises, therefore topping off with some RO would bring it back into spec. I am right on this?

N

nereef

Originally Posted by solarscar
I ask this since i am pretty sure that salt doesn't evaporate so when the water level goes down due to evaporation i assume the salt level rises, therefore topping off with some RO would bring it back into spec. I am right on this?
yes, but you do need to keep track of your specific gravity levels. as you may do some things such as priming filters, etc. also, salt can leave the tank as "salt creep." don't assume that your levels are always the same.

lion_crazz

Originally Posted by NEreef
yes, but you do need to keep track of your specific gravity levels. as you may do some things such as priming filters, etc. also, salt can leave the tank as "salt creep." don't assume that your levels are always the same.
I agree.

hammbone

This brings up a question I've been wondering about.
When we use our skimmers, is salt water being skimmed out of the system, or does salt not rise with the bubbles?
Jim

bemaniac

Is there any alternative to RO water that's cheap? I'm just starting out with a 55 gallon tank, but I really can't afford an RO system, is there any other way I can get acceptable water into the tank at a reasonable price?