Top OFF

the claw

Any handy dandy hints or solutions to help with water top offs. I'm evaporating mulptiple gallons per day, and wonder if there is a way I can keep up with it. What is the basic design of a water top off. Is that what people use with their Kalk drips, or is that different.

dburr

I've got a ten gallon tank hooked up to a kent float switch. It's gravity fed. I also cut a hole in the top and use the 5 gallon bottles you find on the drinking fountains and stuck that on top. It holds about 14 gallons total and I just change out the 5 gallon bottle when it empties.
The 14 gallons lasts me a good 2 weeks in the summer, when I go on vacation.
:D
I drip seperatly.
Dan

the claw

Dan, is the ten gallon tank your sump and the 5 gallon sits on the top of it or is that the top off you are talking about. Can you post a diagram? I'm really interested.

dive1

The most trouble free way ( I know I carried water fro over a yr from wk..using 2-3 gal per day). Is to hook up a direct line to your ro unit with a float in the sump. I have not added water in over a yr. This also makes your tank more stable since water is dripped a little at a time.

the claw

I get reagent grade water from work, so I don't have an RO system, so I was looking for a reserve tank option. I saw a link to a cool litlle item that serves as a remote pump, but anything is cool when its 300 bucks. I was hoping for something a little more practical.

dive1

I would still look into an ro unit they are not that expensive considering how much we have in our systems. If not you could have a storage tank with a 1/4 in tubing going to a sump float. I fought this for a yr or better before I finally gave in ....It was well worth it even though I can get free ro/di water from wk..the time I save to put into other things and the healther tank makes it worth it..

reefnut

A lot of people dip kalk at a rate that replaces the evaporated water...
I use a 20g rubbermade, a float switch and a power head. The float valve controls the on/off of the power head which pushed water (kalk water) to the sump.

the claw

I'm evaporating about 2 to 3 gallons per day. That seems like alot of KalK to me. How often do you upgrade your Kalk mix. I thought it was only good for a short period of time.

reefnut

I'm evaporating 1 1/2 to 2 gallons a day... Kalk mix can be mixed to meet what you need.
I mix the water 2 times a week. The instructions says not to mix more than you can use in a week.

gatorcsm

dive,
the constant on/off of the ro/di will decrease their life.
You can increase the membrane and media's life by a considerable amount if you run them for longer periods all at once. Therefore allowing a flush of the membrane and disposal of the initial product. That way the DI media(resin) won't have to work as hard. A separate container such as reefnut or dburr are using, will provide pretty much the same effect, just that you aren't constantly producing water from the ro/di. However that wouldn't be a bad idea if you were going to be gone for a considerable period of time (longer than what you had in a reserve tank.)
Gator

dive1

You might be right but with the space I have and water being made in garage going thur the ceiling and over to the center of the house It is better for me to do it this way.. It also feeds a 55 gal drum which I empty about every 30 days to do water changes. Another problem I will have is It is possible I will start working 30days on and 30days off in Africa and I am trying to get everything as automatic as possible. I do agree if the tank was neer the garage where I could gravity feed to the tank I would love to have a refugum and the drip system so I could add some other chemicals as a drip but with my equiptment location this seems to wk.. The ro unit has been running over a yr with no filter changes and still making good water so I think I am getting pretty good service.

dive1

I am going to have a neighbor ck the pumps, wipe the glass with the magnets, and feed every day. she is 15 and should be able to handle it. If something is not working I am going to leave a # for a local carekeeper. I am not sure I am going yet but hope to. As it stands now unless I do a water change I really do not have to do anything buy feed and clean the bag filters which I will take out while I am gone. All they do is polish the dust out of the water anyway. Mater of fact they are not in right now. Then I will say a prayer to the reef Gods to look over it. I have been looking for someone to send me a copy of oquaweb also so I could chart my tank while gone. so far no luck.

I just set up RO-DI/ kalk water in a 30 gallon rubbermaid trash can, with a maxi-jet 1200 powerhead and a Tsunami float switch in my sump. Used flexible vinyl tubing from Home Depot to go from trash can into an overflow on my tank. Worked like a charm while I was in Mexico for THREE WEEKS!! I just got back Monday night. Sure made it easier for the house sitter.
Cheap, easy and works.
-Christine

dive1

Another feature I have been working on while I am gone is my web cam..I need to move it over by the tank but I am keeping it on sometimes right now. I will be able to log on and look at my tank from wk. I need to get a longer cable to move the camera over on the tank since it is not that good of a camera but at least I know it will wk. It is in windows netmeeting. The address is on meetnow.autodesk.com and under Terry Moore. Anyone can log on and look at the tank or I can from anywhere net meeting is loaded and on the internet. Like I said it was just set up and picture too far away and not that clear but that will be an easy fix. The picture does get better as the lights come on and is black before daylight. Still kind of fun.. be better though when I get the closeups.