Top Offs...

kamaqazi21

When your tank water evaporates, people top off the water in the tank. Are you only supposed to use freshwater for top offs? Is this beacause the salt remains the same, cause only the water has left not the salt in the water. So just wanted to make sure i have been doing fresh water top offs. Please let me know if i am doing the right thing thanks.

sarwiz100

You have it correct. SHould check salinity every day or two, depending on tank size and amout of top-off water. Use RO or steam distilled water for top-off. How big is your tank?

chipmaker

You got it, rodi (preferred) water for topoffs, and for water changes, make sure your water in the tank is correct sg etc, then drain out appropriate quanity and replace with like amount that has the same parameters or close to same as the tanks. I normaly go for adjusting just the temp and SG, and have never bothered with ph etc as some do, as the amount of water I change doe snot have anay real adverse effects overall anyhow.

granny

I totally agree but one more item. I do put PH buffer in the water that I add and mix it well before using it to top off. May not be necessary, but the added in water is very acidic and it stands to reason it will lower the pH of your tank. I adad about 1 1/2 gallons a day to my tank and change 20 gallons a week.

sarwiz100

In addition, if you have a sump, you could install an auto top off system. Ours is DIY with a 2 gallon waterbottle feeding a slightly modified toilet innard. Get the one that has no metal parts inside, and replace the outer screws with nylon screws, or zip ties. I use a zip tie tool to tighten them. Will post picture soon.

pieguy

Dont be an idiot like me and add made up saltwater. Live, lose (fish) money and learn. Get RO water and good luck.