Topping off tank

BILLYNY

Hi again gals and guys. Two quick questions . When topping off the tank due to evaporation probably have to add some conditioner to remove ammonia etc. I actually forgot to do that the last few times I topped off a little bit when I noticed bubbles from my sterilizer output . My readings had been fine though but I added some prime conditioner today less than half a capful as I didn't really add that much water . When topping off should I always add a little tiny bit of prime along with it ? Also are bubbles not good in a saltwater tank
Thanks again all

lmforbis

You should be using either reverse osmosis deionized (RODI) water or distilled water for top offs. There is no need to add anything to them. Never use tap water.

BILLYNY

Thanks again ImForbis
Maybe investing in a RODI filter system. I also do craft brewing and use distilled water for it and my son said I could use the RODI for that and also for making coffee so it would serve three purposes . I hope the little bit of topping or five done with tapwater hasn't affected anything fish look happy and my tests have been good. Probably been only about a gallon or less as I've had the fish in there only three weeks
Thanks again . Hey could I add a lemon peel fish in with my 2 clowns and The one other small fish I have I forget the name need to check back on my posts LOL. 55 gallon tank
QUOTE="lmforbis, post: 3598894, member: 292926"]You should be using either reverse osmosis deionized (RODI) water or distilled water for top offs. There is no need to add anything to them. Never use tap water.[/QUOTE]

BILLYNY

Royal Gramma Basslet is the other Fish
Sorry for typos on last reply I meant to say the little bit of topping off I've done
I saw the lemon peel fish on an episode of tanked
You should be using either reverse osmosis deionized (RODI) water or distilled water for top offs. There is no need to add anything to them. Never use tap water.

lmforbis

In a 55 a lemon peel would be fine. Just keep keep in mind that you can only halve one angel so I’d do some research to make sure that is the one you want. I’d also wait a couple months for your tank to adjust to the fish you have.

don’t pay too much attention to how they do things on tanked. Their methods are atrocious and will not result in long term life of the fish. People spending 10s of thousands on a tank don’t think twice about replacing dead fish.

BILLYNY

Oh I realize that about tanked it's basically a sitcom LOL I just get an idea of the different type of fish from it not that I would follow any of their practices . Guess I'll have to just be satisfied with my three little tiny fish for a while
Make she wonder how long any of these tanks on that shell really survive I'm sure they all have private companies servicing the tanks

In a 55 a lemon peel would be fine. Just keep keep in mind that you can only halve one angel so I’d do some research to make sure that is the one you want. I’d also wait a couple months for your tank to adjust to the fish you have.

don’t pay too much attention to how they do things on tanked. Their methods are atrocious and will not result in long term life of the fish. People spending 10s of thousands on a tank don’t think twice about replacing dead fish.

lmforbis

They definitely have private companies servicing them. To those people the tanks are decoration, they don‘t see them as alive To us they are tiny pieces of the reef and we care about the well being of the inhabitants.

BILLYNY

Very well said inforbis
As I've said Tanked is 90% shtic and dumb jokes but I do like seeing the variety of fish. I dvr it so I can fast forward past lots of the crap LOL
My son is a tech teacher and has the ability to make an acrylic tank so in a few months or year I might be going big once I know for sure I'm going to stick with this and dedicate the amount of time necessary and needed to do it right

QUOTE="lmforbis, post: 3598901, member: 292926"]They definitely have private companies servicing them. To those people the tanks are decoration, they don‘t see them as alive To us they are tiny pieces of the reef and we care about the well being of the inhabitants.[/QUOTE]

BILLYNY

Ok
Thanks again
UOTE="lmforbis, post: 3598905, member: 292926"]Once your tank is stable the amount of time needed is minimal. Big tanks are easier to keep stable.[/QUOTE]