Torch coral problem

emmitt2

Need some help on this one guys.
I have had a nice torch for about 6 months. It has about 25 heads. Lately it seems like it has been losing a few heads. It was hard to tell because i never get to see it deflated when the lights 1st come on. Yesterday, i got home early and turned the lights on and could see a big problem!
About 7-10 heads that ring the torch have died. On their skeletons is some white substance. It almost looks like a sponge but is VERY soft, almost like cotton? Its really weird. I do have what i believe is a white sponge growing near it on a piece of LR but this stuff is much softer than that "sponge"
I'm gonna try to get some decent pics to post when the lights come on in a few hours but does anyone have any ideas or seen/heard something like this until i can get the pics up?
p.s.- i forgot 1 thing. On a few tentacles i can see a small brown spot. Almost looks like a small brown pimple? I dont know if it means anything but before my elegance went downhill a few weeks ago, i saw these same brown spots on it for a few days?? :help:

psusocr1

i had a HUGE torch corasl with about 20 heads as well and one day one died then the next day another died, etc. etc. i hurried up and got a dremel and fragged it as quickly as possible so i stopped the cycle and thankfully i saved alot of heads..
i dont know what happend all of a sudden with it but i do know on mine once one went they all started to go so i would frag it a.s.a.p

emmitt2

Originally Posted by Laddy
Are the heads discolored like the zooxanthellae is dying?
No, the heads that are left seem perfect. They look great and are fully inflated. The only thing off is the 2 small brown spots on 2 tentacles. The dead heads have some kind of white substance growing at the bases of them. Might be a sponge but very soft. I've never heard of a sponge taking over and killing a torch though :notsure:
Is that possible? :help:

laddy

Originally Posted by emmitt2
No, the heads that are left seem perfect. They look great and are fully inflated. The only thing off is the 2 small brown spots on 2 tentacles. The dead heads have some kind of white substance growing at the bases of them. Might be a sponge but very soft. I've never heard of a sponge taking over and killing a torch though :notsure:
Is that possible? :help:
I've never heard of that either. It could be more than just a sponge, however. If you are convinced it will kill off the remaining heads, I'd do what psusocr1 suggested and frag the infected heads off.