Torch Coral taken over by Sponge

logger850

I have a beautiful Torch coral with nine heads on it, recently it seems it doesn't open as it usually did. I have noticed a sponge that is growing in the same place and seems to be suffocating my Torch, is there something I can do, or how can I remove the sponge? :notsure:

ninjamini

If its a sponge would'nt a few minutes in the air kill it? I dont know this for a fact but it sounds good.

emmitt2

I have been having the same problem with my torch!! I posted about it recently but nobody had ever heard of a sponge doing this.
What does your look like?
Mine are white and there are like 4 spots of them. Each has a hole in the top and are a little smaller than a walnut :notsure:

logger850

mine are white also but there are two tubes that are about an inch around and about three inches long, you can really see it good at night when the torch retracts.

sharkbait9

Simple and easy way to get rid of them. Take Ro/di water in a bucket with air line hose and start a flow over the sponge for a couple of minutes. The coral will be fine just don't run fresh water over the heads. The fresh water will kill off any sponge that’s on it. Once you have dripped water just pick off the sponge and you'll be fine. I had Q tip sponge and some kind of "ghost sponge" starting to take over my frogspawn. Since I did the fresh Ro/di water trick I have a nice piece of coral with no ugly sponge on it and its dong great.