Torch Coral

nicodakat

I have a friend who dropped in on Sunday with a torch coral to put in my tank. He saw it at the store and thought it would be neat to have. This is my first coral. I have polyps and feather dusters and have been feeding them Micorvert. For the coral is there anything special I should be feeding it? Please help. I don't want to starve it but it seems to be doing okay with what I have been giving it. Thanks for the help.

jedininja

Well the main thing is what is your lighting? Other than that, torches can be fed small pieces of mysis or other small meaty foods.

nicodakat

All I have is a fluorescent 40w bulb. It's a 55 gallon tank. It seems to be doing fairly well. I have it situated about 2-3 inches below the surface. The arms sway around alot and it is near a good current.

nm reef

Originally Posted by NicodaKat
All I have is a fluorescent 40w bulb. It's a 55 gallon tank. It seems to be doing fairly well. I have it situated about 2-3 inches below the surface. The arms sway around alot and it is near a good current.

I'd be real concerned about the welfare of a torch coral under 40 watts of standard lighting in a 55 gal display. As a rule they require moderate lighting and your 40 watts would be well below moderate. They also like a moderate current and a mature/stable display. They sometimes respond well to meaty type foods but mine seldom gets fed direct...instead it thrives on the light ...

nicodakat

Thanks for all the help. I don't want to give it away but for the sake of the coral I will be giving to a friend who has a nice reef tank set up.

ophiura

Luckily, it is easily fragged down the road for when you do have more appropriate conditions for it :)