Torch or Frogspawn?

nyreefer

I have a well established 55 gallon with descent lighting (2x175watt halides and 2x65 watt actinic pc's). I am trying to decide between a torch and a frogspawn. I know they are from the same family but is one hardier than the other? I'm leaning toward the torch. I don't see them in this area much, so I'd probably order off this site. Thanks...

oceana

dont think it matters and most seem to feel they are the same other then looks but for me i have kept both and lost the hammer twice and never lost a frogspawn. luck??? not sure but for me the frogspawn works better. i like its look more anyhow

meadbhb

Hiya,
I have a torch and a hammer. Love them both! Frogspawn just didn't attract me as much. Not enough movement. though, the grape frogspawn has kinda caught my eye.
There's nothing wrong with getting both either. So, if you can't make up your mind....
Meadbhb

dragonboy

The green frogspawn only looks good in my opinion but I have all 3 kinds the frog, hammer and torch they all doing well particularly my hammer.

nm reef

From the description of your display and lighting I'd say maybe get both!!
I keep a large frogspawn thats been fragged several times....along with a sweet hammer(anchor) coral....and a medium sized torch. All of them have been in my system for a long time and they all have been fragged....and each needs to be fragged again.

nyreefer

Thanks all, now I just need to find one! Has anyone ordered from here? They don't specify green or brown and I'd really like the green torch.

laddy

I saw a branching coral at my LFS last week, but don't know what it was......long green tenicles, with white tips, sawing in the motion of the water. Was that torch coral? :notsure:

edo

I recently got a torch because I like the long polyps, whcih leads me to a question. How long does it typically take for a new torch to fully extend/inflate its polyps? My new one (mail ordered) has been in the tank a week and the polyps are barely longer than 1 cm or so. Do I need to give it more time or was I wrong to expect much longer extension as I've seen in pictures on the web?
2x 175 W MH & 1x 55 W actinic PC, near bottom of 46 G bowfront, indirect medium flow from powersweep PH,
1.024, 450 Ca, 4 Alk, 8.5 pH, ~0 nitrate, nitrite, phosphate, etc

meadbhb

Hiya,
Mine opened up in hours. You might want to consider moving it up a little in the tank.
Meadbhb

edo

I'll try that. But this is a torch, right? Is this how they look when they are not yet open? Just want to make sure I was not sent something else by mistake.