Torch Trouble

it's chuck

Well a couple of days ago I tested my water and found out my PH was low (7.8), Over the last three days I have been buffing the PH back up. My torch looked fine yesterday but when I looked at it this evening it was all shrunk up and a lot of the tentacles/polyps appear to be gone. They only thing I did different today then the last two days is I added two scoops of PH buffer instead of one. The Tank is a 20 long and the readings were 0/0/0-5 77F and the PH was up 8.0 this morning, I will retest everything and calcium too tomorrow. Any clue what is happening to my Torch?

jerryatrick

I have seen torches retract very low. Can you see the skeleton? As for your PH, let us know your alk and calcium results. Try testing the PH during the day at the same time. That will give you a more consistant reading.

spanko

Also a swing in Ph can cause coral to do extraordinary things. Ph is one of those things you want to bring up very slowly so you do not shock the coral.

jerryatrick

Originally Posted by spanko
http:///forum/post/2750056
Also a swing in Ph can cause coral to do extraordinary things. Ph is one of those things you want to bring up very slowly so you do not shock the coral.
A large water change would have been better. 7.8 is low but not low enough where I would dose.

calaxa

Is there any evidence of brown jelly disease? Of the remaining polyps do you see them totally retracted or withered? You can do take him out for a sec and do a quick smell test. If it's brown jelly disease, there will be a strong odor of decay. You will have to act fast cause this disease can wipe out a colony within days.