Total NEWBIE!!!!!

S

saltfreak4

Originally Posted by Neptunes ghost
You need the SALTWATER master test kit. I use API...it will tell you PH, NH3, NO2 and NO3
Actually, the Reef master test kit is for saltwater. If it's a master test kit should have ammonia, nitrite, and pH and not the calcium and dkH test, so I am little confused about that, no matter though, you just need to get a test for these.

S

saltfreak4

Well let me explain the too much live rock idea :) When you place rock in a tank you displace water. The concentration of ammonia/nitrate/nitrate etc. are based on amount per volume of water. So, the problem with too much rock is that you are gaining rock surface good, but lose volume of water (not so good). So, there is a balance that has been found for saltwater aquariums between these two concepts that maximize the tanks capacity. That is about 1.5 lbs of rock per gallon of water (at the top end). If I remember from you post you are double that.

shrimpi

Ok,
1.you definetly need to start testing your water- yourself. you can have the LFS test it as a backup but dont depend on them entirely.
2.LFS often are seeing $$ and sell you whatever they think they can get you to buy from them. Thats probably why they gave you the advice they did, b/c they thought you would buy from them.
3. Start doing frequent water changes to keep up with the ammonia/nitrites and to help keep PH stabilized. Normally you wouldnt have to as often,but if you want your critters to have a chance, I think if you start to see some increases you should change 15-20% water 1xweek(my opinion) until this gets under control.
4. Check the water you are getting from your LFS to make sure you arent introducing unwanted nitrates etc. into your tank. Sometimes the 'new water' isnt safe.
5. Make sure you dont overfeed, this will make your whole situation worse.
You will probably have some losses so be prepared. But if you are careful and attentive, you may be able to pull it off. Alot of ppl start thier tank this way b/c they didnt know better- and everything still works out.

coolguy818

Thanks for all the words of wisdom, I'm starting to notice some changes in the Rocks. Some Purple, Green and Pink coloring.
Also why is it bad to have the Rock so close to the Glass?

tahoetanks

https://forums.saltwaterfish.com/t/264597/a-list-of-extremely-helpful-threads-for-all-hobbyists
This would be a great place to start. there is sooooo much info here and on the archives. Best of luck to you!
By the way, listen to the lfs and then verify the answer on here. You can ask 10 people the same question and probably will get at least 5 different answers. I always go with the opinion that I hear most and that science/chemistry backs it up. The lfs wants to make money. We all want you to have a happy healthy tank.

reefforbrains

LR too close and its hard to clean the glass.
As for too much? ....no such thing. It just can make it difficult to clean in cetain arraingments, and you will indeed have a time keeping that tank clean the way it is set up currently. Rock does displace the water for swimming room, but as for any kind of balance thats absurd in my world. Just the more rock the more displaced volme left for swimming.

S

saltfreak4

Do you have a valid reason for the absurdity? Because the concept of ppm is real. If you decrease the amount of water when nitrates form the volume is smaller with more rock and the ppm goes up.

petjunkie

Where did you get the rock from? You said it was fully cured which as long as that was true and it stayed underwater or very wet while transporting you might be okay but if it was shipped to you there will be a cycle.

puffer32

He got the LR from this site. So he shouldn't get to much die off.
I think the shrimp molted, so don't be suprised to see him alive in your tank someplace.
I don't have anything else to add, everyones got you pretty covered. But i would get some numbers on the ammonia, trites and PH. Then we can tell you what to do from there.

reefkprz

Originally Posted by saltfreak4
Do you have a valid reason for the absurdity? Because the concept of ppm is real. If you decrease the amount of water when nitrates form the volume is smaller with more rock and the ppm goes up.
I'm not saying PPM is wrong its absolutly right. I'm just adding more perspective. it is harder to maintain strict parameters with less water, but where the less water comes from more potential filtration instead of just being a smaller tank, IMO having more rock in this case is good. the reason I would say more rock is good is (true it displaces lots of water) but he also gains the anaerobic filtration from the rock that is going to decrease the amount of nitrates that actually accumulate, by breaking the nitrates down through anaerobic activity. at this point where he has the rock the lowered amount of water volume is going to make it easier to effect the total saturation of nitrate by doing water changes. 5 gal changw on say 15 gallons of water is going to cut the ammount of pollution by 1/3 where if he had 20 gal of water left it would only be 1/4. Also IMO where he has kind of rushed ahead fast the extra filtration may help. If he got lucky and there is little die off it may just be the saving grace (I wouldnt count on it but he may get lucky)

kanicky

Eesh... that's a lot in so little time...
I'm surprised that no one has really mentioned the crushed coral (other than the post above.) Although, looking at the tank with all that LR and reading the list of current inhabitants, you may be in troubleif you wanted to switch to live sand, which is most often better than crushed coral.
We bought CC when we first started, and thankfully that and the salt mix was all we bought at first. I had a chance to drain the tank, scoop out the CC and replace it with LS. Haven't looked back since. Even in the short time we had the CC, I was not happy with it, especially the more I read about it.
Of course, as with anything, you'll hear all different sides about CC vs. LS, but most people are in favor of LS. CC, because of it's texture, is very hard to keep clean, you can't have certain fish or invertebrates, and it is a nitrate trap. Definitely do some research here and on other SW forums, and decide what is best for you and your current/future inhabitants of the tank.
I know it's hard to be patient, but that is the key to this hobby and lifestyle.
Best of luck to you!

reefkprz

good point on the CC, especially with the large amount of rock in the tank it is going to make it nearly impossible to clean it properly enough to prevent detritus build up in it, and lead to nitratemares. I would also reccomend switching the CC for sand. its going to cut down on the overall maintinence required and reduce headaches. one headache switching it out is better than the many that it can lead to down the road.

symon

I agree with the others about to much to fast, BUT it's so hard to be patience once you get things going!
So for the time being i would just allow things to settle!
Crushed coral is a nitrate trap, but it's going to be very hard to remove it at this point, and with all that LR it will be very hard to vaccume! I think i would remove some of the LR and rearrange so you can clean the CC, Use the extra LR for a sump!
With that all said, it sounds like your shrimp merely molted, that is expected, Hermits as they grow will look for larger shells if they don't find one they will be eaten quickly once

[hr]
!
Good Luck, Have Fun!

coolguy818

I don't think the Shrimp molted, I would have seen it by now... Call me crazy but I sit there and stare at the tank for hours. I think its cool, wife thinks i'm crazy.
Here is some clearification. I purchased the LR from the LFS. And transported it in water. The trip was only a 4 mile trip. And you guys are correct. The amount of LR is alot. But the reason for that is the transfer I will be doing in about 2 months.
I've already ordered the tank its being custom built
:cheer: . That tank I will post on a daily basis here. This tank was purchased to learn from and take note of mistakes made.
Lastly I have a service that comes in twice a month to clean all my tanks, from the freshwater Cichlid tank to this one.

reefkprz

Originally Posted by Coolguy818
Lastly I have a service that comes in twice a month to clean all my tanks, from the freshwater Cichlid tank to this one.
wow that would take all the fun right out of it for me. I love being elbow deep in my tanks. (I currently only have four) 2 marine and two FW. not to mention all my other critters. I guess I'm just way too hands on to let someone else touch my tanks.

puffer32

Originally Posted by reefkprZ
wow that would take all the fun right out of it for me. I love being elbow deep in my tanks. (I currently only have four) 2 marine and two FW. not to mention all my other critters. I guess I'm just way too hands on to let someone else touch my tanks.
Yeah, i agree with you. I can spend hrs with my hands inside the tank. But got to admit, i hate doing any other cleaning jobs around the house. Doing maintance on my tanks is a chore i actually enjoy, and it has to be done my way