Total Noob Needs Help

jasony

Hey guys, Im a total noob to saltater, but i have had and successfully kept fresh up to 120 gallons
i recently purchased a home and to my surprise the home has what looks to be a 100 gallaon salt water setup... i have no idea how to operate it or maintain it so i will describe it the best way i can with hopes that some of u are familiar with the setup and can basically tell me what i have....
the tank is filled with water and algae (house has been vacant for 1 year prior to me moving in)
it has plumbing going to the basement where there is another small 20 gallon tank on the floor.
Inside this tank i see a bunch of small 1 inch diameter "blue ball" looking things that are sectioned off by plexiglass that is vented (has holes).. underneath the section of plexiglass looks to be some sort of spongy material and underneath that appears to be some type of bag of charcoal (im assuming its chracoal, but its a bag of somethin)....
the top of this tank has a pipe running to it feeding water from the aquarium and the side of this tank has a pipe sucking water back upstairs to the aquairum.....hoked up to a motor
inside the aquarium upstars, in the left corner is a black "tower thing" ( im assuming this sucks up the water and brings it downstairs??) (forgive me,,, im a noob)
also inside the tank are two spouts that look like a "v".. im assuming they bring water into the tank after it has filtered in the smaller tank in the basement.
Can someone please identify this setup for me and tell me what i have? How do i get it up and running? how do i "clean" or "change" the filter? do i need to empty all the water out? (house was vacant for a year) or do i simply run the filter and then change the filter when it gets soiled?
Please help... i will be forever greatful....
jason

triga22

You have a sump. Which is the 20 gallon. The blue balls and charcol are BioBalls and Carbon. You should decide what you would like to do a reef or fish only. The tower things are overflows which yes bring the water to the sump. You will need a skimmer if not supplied.

triga22

Yes you need to empty everything out. I dont think anything (sand water) will work. You need to clean everything with vinigar water. Make everything spotless. The you should test the pumps and such. you will need some snad light if it dosent have any. Also Welcome to the Boards!

jasony

thanks so much...
so basically i need to somehow empty all the water from the aquarium and clean it out with vinegar water? The tank has sand in it now and actually the water is clear, its just that the glas is so dirty with algae.
as fo rthe sump 20 gal tank downstairs, what exactly do i do with that?
is my firts course of action to remove the bioballs , sponge and carbon bag and clean out this thing and then replace it with the exact stuff as it was?
i tested all the plumbing and the pumps do indeed work.. (i turned on the motor and water is brought into thetank and the tower is sucking water back downstairs and goes into the top of the sump tank...
is there anything i need to change or do with (or inside the towers?) are there sponges or filters in there i need to change?

sign guy

Originally Posted by JasonY
Hey guys, Im a total noob to saltater, but i have had and successfully kept fresh up to 120 gallons
i recently purchased a home and to my surprise the home has what looks to be a 100 gallaon salt water setup... i have no idea how to operate it or maintain it so i will describe it the best way i can with hopes that some of u are familiar with the setup and can basically tell me what i have....
l x h x w / 231 = tank size
the tank is filled with water and algae (house has been vacant for 1 year prior to me moving in)
it has plumbing going to the basement where there is another small 20 gallon tank on the floor.
Inside this tank i see a bunch of small 1 inch diameter "blue ball" looking bio balls things that are sectioned off by plexiglass that is vented (has holes).. underneath the section of plexiglass looks to be some sort of spongy material and underneath that appears to be some type of bag of charcoal (im assuming its chracoal, but its a bag of somethin)....
the top of this tank has a pipe running to it feeding water from the aquarium and the side of this tank has a pipe sucking water back upstairs to the aquairum.....hoked up to a motor
inside the aquarium upstars, in the left corner is a black "tower thing" ( im assuming this sucks up the water and brings it downstairs??) (forgive me,,, im a noob)this is an over flow box and yes it is the water siphonealso inside the tank are two spouts that look like a "v".. im assuming they bring water into the tank after it has filtered in the smaller tank in the basement.black loc line
Can someone please identify this setup for me and tell me what i have? How do i get it up and running? how do i "clean" or "change" the filter? do i need to empty all the water out? (house was vacant for a year) or do i simply run the filter and then change the filter when it gets soiled?
Please help... i will be forever greatful....
jason
I recamend you post some pics of all the equipment and tank so we can help you better. by the way welcome to swf.com

sign guy

Originally Posted by JasonY
thanks so much...
so basically i need to somehow empty all the water from the aquarium and clean it out with vinegar water? The tank has sand in it now and actually the water is clear, its just that the glas is so dirty with algae.
as fo rthe sump 20 gal tank downstairs, what exactly do i do with that?keep it once every thing is clean we can help you under stand it better
is my firts course of action to remove the bioballs , sponge and carbon bag and clean out this thing and then replace it with the exact stuff as it was?yes
i tested all the plumbing and the pumps do indeed work.. (i turned on the motor and water is brought into thetank and the tower is sucking water back downstairs and goes into the top of the sump tank...
is there anything i need to change or do with (or inside the towers?) are there sponges or filters in there i need to change?
I would pull all sponges out and give em a good cleaning

hammerhed7

dont mean to jump the gun, but what you have is a basic system with a wet dry filter (bio balls) try to google wet dry filter to learn more. this filter system can be used for a freshwater set up, or with the addition of a protein skimmer, a salt water set up. either way by gaining a grasp on the wet dry system you will have a better understanding as to which way to use this. it is an efficient filter for fresh, or salt fish only, a reef will require additional modifications.
sounds like a great find, good luck and welcome to swf!

jasony

thanks guys.. i will read up on everything and will post pix
- i really appreciate this... some local aquarium places would come out to the property to walk me thru it but get this.... they charge 480 dollars per consultation!!!!

reefforbrains

Some folks are much faster at visual learning, where are you at? I am sure theres someone here that would come help walk a newbie through his/her new set-up for a free lunch if they are local to ya. Give a shout and see who is close to ya on the board