Total Tank Crash

S

swindtw

Hi all.
I had a very disappointing thing happen to me this week. Tuesday everything in my tank was fine, I had a couple of Yellow Tail Damsels, one yellow tang, a fox face, one chromis, a few peppermint shrimp, and some various crabs and snails.
Well, we woke up weds morning to find all of the fish dead, and most of everything else dead. Needless to say I was very upset.
We immediately bought a Rubbermaid garbage can, and made some new water and took all of the live rock and put it in there to get things out of the tank. To possibly at least save the live rock.
The tank has been running fine for almost a year. All the levels were great 0 Ammonia, 0 Nitrite, and about 20 ppm Nitrate. Salinity of about 1.023 and a temp of 79. This is a 55 gallon tank, 50# of live rock, CC substrate, Prizm Pro protein skimmer, Fulval 404 canister filter, UV filter, standard lighting and a couple of power heads.
At this point I may just buy a whole new setup, but if I don't. What do I need to do to the tank to make sure things are OK? I still have no idea why everything died. I worry that something got in there, or something went toxic? I really don't know.
Any help here would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks!!
-Ben

S

swindtw

Yeah didn't have fuge, I will def look to set it up with the new enviroment.
Do you think I need to worry about the live rock that im trying to salvage from the original setup?

akinda

did you do a water change the day before i had the same thing happen but after 2 months of setup. i did a water change everything was fine when i woke up i had 1 dead perc a dead damsel a dyeing perc and damsel. all the fish died everything else lived. setup again after waiting a month and everything seems to be fine i did a waterchange and they lived yay.