Trace Elements or Not??

fishieness

heck no, i bought some before i knew any better, but a quality salt mix will take care of any of those. otherwise, IMO, you are most likely overdosing. dont dose what you cant test for.

chipmaker

Whiole some may view anything other than SW or rodi water being added as a supplement, I view calcium as an integral item a lot of tanks need and not view it as a supplement. I view things like strontium, iodine, purple up etc etc as supplements. For the most part water changes will replace any minor elements needed.

fishieness

Originally Posted by chipmaker
Whiole some may view anything other than SW or rodi water being added as a supplement, I view calcium as an integral item a lot of tanks need and not view it as a supplement. I view things like strontium, iodine, purple up etc etc as supplements. For the most part water changes will replace any minor elements needed.

chunkysoup

agreed, regular water changes are all u need for the most part. The only supplements I add is b-ionic for calcium

unleashed

although salt mixtures do contain trace eliments they are not always the same amount per bag being mixed just depends on the salt itself some are better brands than others and maintain consistant amounts when it comes to all minerals and eliments.also depending on the stock load of your tank some corals and such use more than another species or tanks deplete faster,I do dose with vit and trace elements but not on a weekly basis.I just watch my corals reactions and dose from there.elements that are testable I test prior to adding any suppliments.such as cal

stanlalee

yes I dose why: regular water changes dont maintain enough calcium levels in my tank. even with daily dosing with kent calcium suppliment per instructions my tank maintains around 390. I suppose I could go from instant ocean to reef crystals but I have always used IO and feel comfortable with it. If you dont have a reef tank I guess its not that much of an issue. I dose with strontium and molydenum simply because the calcium suppliment I use says it should be used for a synergistic effect. I use a ph calcium buffer as needed which is not too frequently. I dose with iodine sparingly, about half what is recommended. As long as my test numbers keep falling within normal range like they should dosing I have no intentions on stopping.

acrylic51

Originally Posted by 1journeyman
Don't dose what you can't test for.... too much of most anything is toxic...

J

jdragunas

Originally Posted by Stanlalee
yes I dose why: regular water changes dont maintain enough calcium levels in my tank. even with daily dosing with kent calcium suppliment per instructions my tank maintains around 390. I suppose I could go from instant ocean to reef crystals but I have always used IO and feel comfortable with it. If you dont have a reef tank I guess its not that much of an issue. I dose with strontium and molydenum simply because the calcium suppliment I use says it should be used for a synergistic effect. I use a ph calcium buffer as needed which is not too frequently. I dose with iodine sparingly, about half what is recommended. As long as my test numbers keep falling within normal range like they should dosing I have no intentions on stopping.
you should test your magnesium, as that tells you how much calcium should be in your system. There's no reason for you calcium to be that low with all that you're doing...

stanlalee

Originally Posted by jdragunas
you should test your magnesium, as that tells you how much calcium should be in your system. There's no reason for you calcium to be that low with all that you're doing...

yeah I just started testing for calcium since I've just began to add corals. I almost picked up a mag test but I was just too darn over budget to spend another penny. The strontium and molydenum I dose with has magnesium chloride as well.