Training a LMB in a QT

Shilpan

Hey guys! I’ve finally finished nearly 16 weeks of fallow (ich) and I’ve just added my first two new fish into my 40 gallon QT (fully cycled with a shrimp before hand, ammonia is 0, 30hrs post fish addition).

So it’s been over a day and I added one chromis and one lawnmower Blenny. They have a piece of dry rock with some chaeto (from DT) pushed into the middle and a fake plant to hide in. The chromis is a pig and eats everything.

The LMB hides in the rock all day and only comes out when no one is around. If I Put food in he hides and I can’t tell if he’s eating or not. I left him a piece of nori today but He either didn’t touch it or maybe nibbled it a little. I saw him eat pellets and herbivore mix with gusto in the fish shop beforehand. He’s NOT thin. No signs of disease on either and I’m NOT premedicating since my fish already had a month quarantine at customs.

What’s a good method to teach a LMB to eat while in quarantine? I have mysis, seafood mix, herbivore mix, pellets, Chorella flakes and green nori.

silverado61

Get a small rock or some type of marine safe weight. Attach a fishing line to it for retrieval. Rubber band a small piece of Nori to it and set it on the bottom. Don't set it close to him because if you startle him with it he won't approach it. You don't need the rock or Cheato in the QT. They're supposed to be kept as sterile and basic as possible aside from the good bacteria in the water. Just a piece of PVC to hide and feel safe.

Shilpan

I’m not having a whole lot of luck. However I have seen him/her having the occasional nibble at random pieces of marine mix/pellets/disintegrating seaweed that lie on the ground. He doesn’t seem too hungry or stressed just...lazy I think? The nori appears to be mostly untouched.

Would you recommend I just keep puttting the nori in there regularly and wait until he finally has a good bite of it? I change the nori daily so it doesn’t rot.

Shilpan

Thank you for the advice
He’s started eating the seaweed with gusto now! Appreciate your help :) I might as well start training him to eat other prepared foods too since he’s in quarantine